yellow tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
im gonna pick one of these up a little later, what type of food (brand) do you guys reccomend?

g. mcclean

AC Members
Mar 26, 2003
new jersey
Visit site
We are fortunate. Our tang eats EVERYTHING. We feed Formula One and Two, frozen mysis shrimp, frozen chopped mussels and krill. We also use frozen angel formula. Early on we always had either a pice of romaine lettuce or nori clipped in the tank but he is not as interested in them now. I thing the live rock has begun to have more algae and he likes that. We have been surprised how much he enjoys the meaty foods.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
nitrite is great, has been for about 2 weeks now. nitrates are stable as well as all the other parameters. i bought the tang dried purple seaweed, but im hopeing that he will graze on some of the algae in there as well. also feed nutrafin flake food, as well as frozen and dried brine shrimp. i just got the guy, hes scared i think. hehe. i probably shouldnt have bought him today, cause the lfs just got him in today, but they are few and far between up here, so im hoping he hasnt had too stressful of a ride :)

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
im looking to add more base rock to my tank. are there any alternatives to buying the 1.99 lb rock at my lfs?

BBN

Braves on the Warpath
Apr 3, 2003
Marion, Illinois
Visit site
I've had my Yellow Tang for about 8 months now and he eats everything. I even get algae buildup on things like my filter and he'll nibble on it. He needs some sort of greens in his diet though. Romain lettuce works great. Freeze it first to soften it up otherwise he may not eat it. Mine wouldn't eat the lettuce until it had been frozen.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
thanx guys. one more quick question, are mandarians hardy? or difficult to keep?

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Caz.
Sounds great but I would hold off feeding your tang lettuce or any terrestrial plants. The best thing for him is to buy plenty of nuri or other kelp based products. There is a big debate on whether if this does any good. But I am a big supporter of feeding these guys an algae based diet. If you have a fuge on your tank running, or if you can setup a simple 10-gallon tank you can order from IPSF.com their tang heaven. This stuff will grow just fine in a separate tank and you can feed it to your tang when you need it. This is like Candy to these guys and will do very well off this.
This diet will eliminate the possibility of HLE on your fish. If you have ever seen it, it’s not a pretty site. The color will also be faded on your fish also.

Mandarins need a well-established tank. The tank will need to be at least 6 months old and have about 150 pounds of live rock for the pod population. So they need a well size tank to keep buzzing around in. Also they need no other fish competing for food. Only very few Mandarins will feed off of frozen foods.

jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store