Need help with egg identification.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bradleyp

AC Members
Feb 8, 2011
My 29g currently houses lemon tetras, black skirt tetras, panda cories, otos, and mystery snails. Last night while feeding, I discovered the eggs shown in the picture below.

eggs032911.JPG

There are 6 on the thermometer and 1 on one of the filter intakes. Any idea which of my residents would have left these? I'm guessing a mystery snail, but I really have no idea.

Depending on what species left them, do I need to do anything special, or just leave them alone and see what happens?

eggs032911.JPG

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
mystery snails lay their eggs in clutches above the water line, here is a pic:
brig clutch, new.jpg

Can you get a clearer picture of yoru eggs? What size are they? My guess is probably cories.

brig clutch, new.jpg

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
good luck, that would be pretty cool to have mini corys swimming around. You could also sell them.:D

bradleyp

AC Members
Feb 8, 2011
If they are cory eggs, and if they hatch, would the fry likely become food for any of the current residents?

Also, how long should it be before they hatch if they are indeed cory eggs?

bradleyp

AC Members
Feb 8, 2011
Update.
Originally found the eggs on 3/28. Yesterday I bought a net breeder and moved the thermometer they were stuck to into it. This morning, 1 had hatched and the little critter was sitting on the bottom of the net. The other eggs will probably be hatched by the time I get home from work this evening. After doing more reading, I'm almost 100% sure these are baby pandas. Although, there is an outside chance they could be otos I suppose.

Whatever they are, it looks like the parents have been quite busy since I found another 27 eggs stuck to the glass this morning when I was checking out the original 6.

Any advice on what I should do next? Should I go ahead and scrape the new eggs off the glass and put them into the net breeder as well. I read somewhere that this can be done with a razor blade.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Whatever they are, it looks like the parents have been quite busy since I found another 27 eggs stuck to the glass this morning when I was checking out the original 6.
Most likely the cories after this bit of info. Congrats!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store