do you pay really close attention to your Discus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I feed them , clean the tank, change water..pretty much keep the tank up..but only watch the discus from a distance..

Last night I installed a t-5 HO from fishneedit...then was looking at how well the t-5 HO light, lights up the tank..
I was looking at the plants closely...the discus always swim up to the front to greet me..they know I feed them..but, they had huddled to the corner farthest away from the activity..until they settled down and saw me.. all of a sudden there they were..a few inches from my face.. I then noticed how large they had become..the dominant male staring me down.. begging..I put my hand up to compare.. he was much larger than my hand..
I realized how much I had taken for granted how stunning Discus really are and how big they can get..
and this guy is no where near some of the show discus I have seen..

just a thought...

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I probably look at mine TOO much!! LOL...I absolutely love them!! I lost all but 2 to a heater malfunction and subsequent stress illnesses. I had decided I was not going to replace...they are just so darn picky. But what do ya know? I am going to pick up some juvies next weekend from a local breeder!!

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
Having two tanks with fry in them, another tank with a set of juvies that I raised from fry (a cross) and another tank with a fresh batch of eggs, I sometimes forget to take the time to watch the discus in my comminity discus tanks. As for the fry I often find myself looking at them thru a magnifying glass, looking for clues of how there color/pattern might develope.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I look at mine daily. Since they're wilds I feel a bit more concern over their health and welfare than I did when I kept tank strains. Also, it seems as though the dom male and another are hanging around together and he sometimes makes false passes over one spot in the corner. Fingers crossed.

I check them daily for coloration, fins, eyes and when I feed them I watch to make sure they're all eating.

Mark

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I check them daily but never really stop to watch/admire them..

young'uns require quite a lot of work..my adults get 1-2 X week water changes..and they seem fine.
wes.. wilds ..wow.. they do usually require a bit more attention.. I know I'd love to get some Altums..

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
Discus are my ultimate goal as a fish keeper! I'm so jealous. They're the most magnificent fish I've seen. Besides a clown trigger ;) (saltwater)

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I love staring at my fish. Some of them play the blinking game and I usually lose...

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
I always have a staring contest with my oscar. He always beats me :(

Sportsnutim

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
Western Washington
They are my favorite aquarium fish! I look at them all the time admiring them and checking for changes in either health or behavioral changes. Ya, have one dominant male a lemon yellow color, he thinks he is tough: funny. : )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store