Setting up 30 Gallon - Stockng question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CPAqua

AC Members
Aug 23, 2009
MN
I have been considering turning my community 30 gallon into a Cichlid tank for the past year or so, and am now in the process of upgrading equipment (filter) and researching a new bottom substrate (seriously considering pool sand). Also, I am planning on upgrading the tank to either a 55 or 75 gallon either late fall or early next year.

I would like to keep the few community fish I have remaining which consist of 2 Zebra Danios, 2 Neon Tetras, a 1.5 inch red-tail "shark", and a 2+ inch Pictus catfish. I know the Pictus is going to be too large for the tank, but I rescued him from a neighbor who had him in a 5 gallon over a year ago.

I would like to get 2-3 Yellow Labs for the tank, with the thought of adding more variety of cichlids when I get the larger tank...and then keeping the community fish in the 30 gallon.

Firstly, will the Yellow Labs fare well in this size of a tank for the year? Also, comments on mixing these species with the existing fish. I am rather attached to the current fish as I have had them for almost 2 years now (except the Pictus). However, I am serious about moving toward a Cichlid population and could turn the fish over to the fish store.

EDIT: FYI, Need to update my signature. No longer planted and while some of the fish remain (listed above) the others have passed on over the last 2 years.

Thanks!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Sorry but yellow labs don't make good community fish. They are still mbuna though one of the more docile species. They will most likely terrorize your current fish, even at a small size. The shark ad pictus might be able to hold their own but the tetras most likely will not hold up. I would just wait until you have the larger tank then set up a mbuna only tank.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Agree that labs would not be good for your set up or your tank size. You could do a pair of kribs, rams, or apistos in a 30g. Those species would all work with your current stocking.

CPAqua

AC Members
Aug 23, 2009
MN
Thank you for the responses. I do have a couple follow up questions, for clarification purposes. Also, because I do have my heart set on the Yellow Labs and adding to the the cichlid population with fish of like size and temperment once I upgrade to the 55 or 75 gallon in less than a year.

If I were to move the Neons and Zebras to a smaller 10 gallon, would this then be acceptable? Also, with respect to tank size, I have to think that a 30 gallon would be sufficient for 2-3 Yellow Labs if they are small, again for less than a year. However, the reason I am posting here is because you are the experts, not me.

all_or_nothin

AC Members
Jul 22, 2010
hold off on the cichlids until you get the larger tank and then keep the little fish in their current tank and just put the cichlids in the larger tank by themselves or with other cichlids. sorry if this was said before

CPAqua

AC Members
Aug 23, 2009
MN
Ok, three people have now said it is a bad idea. I'll hold off on the Yellow Labs. However, Lab_Rat mentioned Apistos, Kribs, and Rams. I know I had been interested in Apistos and Rams in the past so I'll start researching them again. I think they are going to be a bit more of a challenge in finding them and I am not available to receive them via shipping.

Since this thread is already started, I'll ask some general questions about stocking and tank set-up. I was planning on changing to a sand bottom...is this a good idea for this variety of fish? Of the three mentioned, which are the easiest to maintain? Also, I am not looking to breed though the occasional surprise of new fish is not a bad thing...occasionally...

Finally, the reason I was drawn to the yellow lab is because of their personalities as well as their bright coloring, making them a centerpiece. Which of the above would be the best centerpiece?

Thanks again. This has always been a great place to get info.

EDIT: I should also mention that the water in my area is relatively hard and I do not like to treat water with chemicals.

Last edited:

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
If you're experienced with fish keeping and do regular weekly water changes, any of those (rams, kribs, apistos) would be pretty easy to maintain. You say you have hard water, so I'd probably go with bolivian rams as they do better than GBR in harder water. I have liquid rock water and had no problem keeping bolivians in my water. I also have a pair of kribs doing well and breeding in my hard water. Any of the mentioned species would make great centerpiece fish.

CPAqua

AC Members
Aug 23, 2009
MN
Thanks for the info! The only remaining question is substrate. I guess I am not completely stuck on getting sand, but I do want a change from the substrate I now have (<----in my picture). What is ideal for these fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store