Hemianthus Callitrichoides...Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Detox

AC Members
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
I was looking at plants at my local fish store, specifically for some carpet type plants. A friend of mine at the fish store recommended Hemianthus Callitrichoides. So I bought one.

It looks like shag carpet! However, how do I plant it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My fish tank is a 10 gal, already planted and established. 2.2 WPG with DIY CO2 injection.

Also, while I am on the subject I also picked up Anubias barteri var. nana. Advice on planting this guy would be great also.

Thanks

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
The easiest way to 'plant' them is to pin them to the substrate with something similar to paper clips opened up to a 'U' shape.
That will hold them down until they root. You may have to use more than one clip if planting a large 'carpet'.
Nana is planted the same way as it's big brother. Attach to wood or stone. I like the look of them growing out from under the edge of rocks, so I set them down and catch some of the roots under the rock. They don't rot for me if the tuber/rhizome isn't buried, and mine seem to love the extra nutrients in the substrate.

Len

Detox

AC Members
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
Len,

I am in Toronto, Canada and I bought my Hemianthus Callitrichoides at Big Al's (I have a friend who works there) I am really hoping it grows well (although I am not sure I have the right substrate)

From what I have read it is very difficult to find in the US, almost impossible. As it grows more I would be happy to send you some, that is of course if you can mail plants to the US from Canada.

Detox

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Great Detox......I sent you a PM so check it out, OK?
From what I hear it isn't all that tough to grow. Try using the method I suggest above and keep us informed on how it's doing.

Len

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store