Dont want to kill my fish, what do i do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

ofortuna08

AC Members
Dec 18, 2010
iowa city
Real Name
Patrick
ok so this is my problem... a few days ago i got a tang from my LFS and he went right into my DT (i will never do that again) two days later i found a few white spots on him (ick). after a few hours of researching meds, i decided to go with cupermine by seachem.... it looked like the best option. anywho i set up the hospital tank for the tang and clown (thought it would be best to treat both). i also got the seachem test kit so i could monitor the copper levels. the first test i got didnt work, so i went back to the store and the second one didnt work either. the only other test kit that was recommended is not available at any stores. in the mean time the fish look like crap from the move to the QT and are not eating. my question is should i move them back to the DT until i can get the test kit and can complete the treatment, or leave them in QT and hope they dont starve before i cant finish treatment?

ofortuna08

AC Members
Dec 18, 2010
iowa city
Real Name
Patrick
just moved them back to DT an hour ago and they are eating and looking much better. i just ordered the test kit, im sure i will need it in the future.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Question, how is your QT tank setup? Why size tank, type of filtration, any live rock, sand? Also how much cupramine did you use? I always error on the side of caution and go real slow with copper to ramp it up over the coarse of a week until i site proper levels .25-.30.. or is it .025.. If a fish is super infected with ich, copper at full stregth will probably do the fish in before the copper can work, the stress from the copper + ich is really bad on a heavy infestation. In those cases, I would recommend doing a FW dip (ph/temp adjusted) for 3-5 minutes to get the majority of the ich you see off the fish, then place in QT with lower levels of copper and ramp up slowly. Either way is stressful on the fish, but I think a FW dip is the lesser of the 2 evils when trying to save a super infested fish... but it sounds like yours wasn't that bad yet.

A good copper kit, as you already know, is extremely important, so I do think you did the right thing for now, putting them back in the display until you can verify the copper readings in the QT tank.

E

erwlvhdgxvou

Dont want to kill my fish what do i do

Hey Reefman,You ever find anything while diving like small fish or corals that you bring home for your tank?Just curious. I like the valuable info you provide in your articles. I'll bookmark your blog and check again here frequently. I am quite certain I will learn plenty of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!| Senior Psychiatry

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
OP..please start new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com