Loving my "Freshwater" Flounders

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vombatus

AC Members
I have read all the caveats and warnings about them, but so far my pair of "freshwater" flounders are doing well. I have had them for a couple of months now. Since they are TINY babies (they are only like 1.5 inches now and were smaller when I bought them) and I did not expect them to survive, they've been living in a 2.5 gallon brackish (marine salt, not freshwater salt) tank with just a horned nerite snail for company and some planted water sprite for shelter. They spend most of the time buried in the sand (fine-grain Petco brand freshwater aquarium sand--highly recommend) but occasionally sit under the plants or stick on the glass.

They eat very little and so I am careful not to put too much food in the tank. I siphon out waste and uneaten food and change a third of the water weekly, using air line tubing as my syphon tube. I couldn't tell you how much salt I'm adding, as I really just eyeball it, but I have a hydrometer in the tank to make sure I'm not adding enough to make it saltwater. I feed them live bloodworms sometimes but they eat the frozen ones happily, and sometimes they get frozen brine or mysis shrimp, but they prefer bloodworms. So far they will not eat pellet food, not even Hikari carnivore sinking wafers (broken into tiny pieces, of course).

My only question is, will they be okay if I only feed them bloodworms (until they get a bit bigger, at least) or do they need a more varied diet to get all their nutrition? Because bloodworms are the only food they eat fully and consistently.

SalmonAfrica

Say what now?
Aug 28, 2009
Johannesburg, South Africa
www.instagram.com
Real Name
Tim
Glad to hear your flounders are doing well :) Not many people have the success that you're having. Do you think perhaps you could post a picture?

Anyway, as with most fish it is best to provide some variety in their diet. Frozen bloodworm isn't very nutritious (unless it has been supplemented with vitamins, etc.), but live bloodworm is pretty good food. Keep feeding the other frozen foods, as you have been doing, and every now and again try a different kind of small live food and see if they enjoy it. If you find something they like, add it as a treat to their diet.

Regards,
Tim

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I'd try live blackworms, finely chopped earthworms, live brine shrimp, live mosquito larva.

Mark

vombatus

AC Members
Tim-- Thanks. I will try to get pictures with a friend's camera when I can. They're so small and sand-colored I'm going to need something with a really good macro setting!

Mark-- Thanks. I should try blackworms. I stopped picking them up in favor of bloodworms because my elephant nose fish (for some reason) ignores blackworms but loves bloodworms. But I have enough other animals to eat them now. Live brine is a good option too, just harder for me to get around here. But as brave as I am with icky things, I think I would wretch if I tried to "finely chop" an earthworm lol.

Laura

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I'd try live blackworms, finely chopped earthworms, live brine shrimp, live mosquito larva.
Good advice but I too think I'd wretch if I had to chop up an earthworm! Maybe you could try grindals and white worms instead? I would be careful though of getting them too fixed on live food if you're not planning on keeping a constant supply of them. But if you are, more power to you!

You also might try some small ghost shrimp and tiny feeder fish. Are you feeding them at night? According to this: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/67770-freshwater-flounders/ they're mostly nocturnal. That link also gives some good food ideas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store