How long does it take for BIO-SPIRA to work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
I found that Bio-Spira helped with the ammonia but not with nitrites- others have suggested that a second dose would help. My nitrite spike came on around days 11-13.

There are many threads detailing day to day results with Bio-Spira. There is a button up top of this page in the little row of six that says "search"- you can find past discussions on most anything and get more opinions by using it.

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
I've only used it for helping a tank that was already cycling.

I had a ten gallon tank two weeks into its cycle showing high ammonia and just starting to show nitrites. I dosed with half a packet of Bio-Spira (the packet big enough for a 30g tank) one day. The next day levels were lower but not gone so I dosed with the rest of the packet. By the next day levels were zeroed and stayed that way.

Most people I have heard from who used it in a brand new tank never noticed any real ammonia or nitrites unless they got a bad batch of Bio-Spira.

HTH

Tom

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
Generally Bio-Spira comes in a packet that is enough to treat a 30g tank. For a ten gallon tank you would only need to use one third of the packet.

However, I have noticed from my experience and what I have heard from a few others that if you are already fishy cycling, it may take more than the usual dose and it may take longer to cycle the tank.

I *THINK* that is because in an already cycling tank there may be enough existing ammonia and/or nitrites that the bacteria have more than enough food to work with so it takes them some time to eat through it. So, you may end up using that whole packet in the end.

You really can't over dose (I guess you could if you have a tanker truck full of it but the packet won't do it :) ) so don't worry about it.

Tom

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
*DISCLAIMER* the following is only opinion based on very limited experience! Follow this nitwits advice at your own risk :D

Well, if the tank is already cycling, I would suggest doing a good water change before adding it to get the ammonia and nitrites down as low as you can.

Then I would add a little less than half the packet and wait a day. If the levels are dropping after a day wait it out to see if they drop further. If they are the same or higher after a day I would add the rest of the packet.

Tom

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
I could never find any bio spira a little over a month ago. I went to every petstore I used and asked about it, went to marineland's website and found all the "local dealers" they had listed and none of them have it. One called the local warehouse and they weren't going to keep it because it has to be frozen and none of the internet sites showed to have any in stock. I did the ammonia cycle using pure ammonia and it worked pretty well on a 10 gallon. I'm wondering though, how long it would take to cycle a larger tank with pure ammonia. I think I'll just use my giant danio's to cycle any new tanks I get. they seem pretty bulletproof. Kyle

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
Originally posted by snakeskinner
I'm wondering though, how long it would take to cycle a larger tank with pure ammonia. I think I'll just use my giant danio's to cycle any new tanks I get. they seem pretty bulletproof. Kyle
If you've got an established tank you can just use the filter media from it to establish the bacteria colony in the new tank. That's how I cycled my 29g and my 8g. both from the original 10g. You have to be sure not to stock it with anything more than you already have at first but other than that it works fine.

Tom

Gucci_fish

AC Members
Feb 25, 2004
Bio-spira also has to be refrigerated to keep the beneficial bacteria alive, and it has an expiration date.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store