Talk to me about stray voltage, please!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
I've had an ongoing problem with harlequin rasboras dying one at a time, and I think it may be from stray voltage. Tell me what you think:

• The only symptom shared by all fish is an abrupt change in behavior. The fish begins twitching its fins, swims repeatedly around and around the same area of the tank, ignores other fish, stops feeding (due to lack of interest or inability?), and eventually loses buoyancy control.
  • The fish may die within hours, or go slowly downhill until I euthanize it.
  • I'm not seeing HITH, body wounds, bloody streaks, popeye, dropsy, fin damage, or parasites.
  • What I thought might be a fungal/bacterial infection turned out to be (I believe) a heavy slime coat and graying out loss of color.
  • Treatments with Maracyn Plus (main tank) and Seachem ParaGuard (QT tank) have had no noticeable effect. Seemingly healthy fish fell ill and died during the treatments.
  • MT snails and amano shrimp are perfectly healthy and happy.
  • Water params are fine, testing repeatedly with API liquid kit.
  • All deaths have occurred in the hours/days right after water changes — during which I usually unplug/replug HOBs and heaters.
So ... Does that sound like stray voltage??

---------------

Main tank: Marina Slim HOB (motor in the tank), Via Aqua heater, battery-operated temperature probe, dual All-Glass fixture (on glass lid, not open tank).

QT tank: Nano HOB, Cascade heater, no light.

Both tanks plugged into the only available outlet, which is not grounded. I'm looking at fixing that but in the meantime ... Will adding a GFIC plug/powerstrip do any good on an ungrounded outlet? Will changing to a canister filter and inline heater (which I'd like to do for a variety of reasons) end the problem??

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If you want to know if there's stray voltage in your tank there's an easy test and a different more accurate one as well. For the accurate test get a voltmeter, stick one probe in the tank and touch the other to a good ground. Read the voltage. The easy way is to stick a hand into the tank that has a small cut or a hangnail or some other break in the skin. If there's voltage in the water you won't need a meter to find out!

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
LMAO! once i dropped my 4 foot light in my tank and was stupid to grab it without turning the power off and boy that was the worst mistake EVER!! surprised my fish survived!

GCL

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Western Ct.
All deaths have occurred in the hours/days right after water changes — during which I usually unplug/replug HOBs and heaters.
Two thoughts come to mind;
Perhaps your tap water has changed somehow? Are you adding anything in particular to the water before you add it back into your tank?

What I thought might be a fungal/bacterial infection turned out to be (I believe) a heavy slime coat and graying out loss of color.
This doesn't sound good to me and I hope someone who has experience with these symptoms will chime in to help.

I hope you can figure this out so as to stop your losses.

Last edited:

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
If you want to know if there's stray voltage in your tank there's an easy test and a different more accurate one as well. For the accurate test get a voltmeter, stick one probe in the tank and touch the other to a good ground. Read the voltage. The easy way is to stick a hand into the tank that has a small cut or a hangnail or some other break in the skin. If there's voltage in the water you won't need a meter to find out!
Well, I haven't felt any tingles/buzzing ... I know what that feels like from problems with an old internal filter that I used briefly a year ago. As for voltmeter/multimeter, I'd have to find a model with 15-20 foot leads, as the nearest grounded outlets are in other rooms.

Two thoughts come to mind;
Perhaps your tap water has changed somehow? Are you adding anything in particular to the water before you add it back into your tank?
This doesn't sound good to me and I hope someone who has experience with these symptoms will chime in to help. I hope you can figure this out so as to stop your losses.
No changes in tap water. Same water goes into my betta's tank, and she's fine. I'm planning to replace the substrate in the 20g long, and possibly upgrade to a 29g at the same time. I will keep some of the rocks, the same driftwood (might boil it), all the plants, and my two shrimp. I'm down to two harlies. I won't try adding fish again until after the rescape.

---------

Still need to know: Can stray voltage affect a tank with an external canister filter/inline heater?

Inglorious

AC Members
Aug 26, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
If you already have a DMM you can use then just run a grounded extension cord from the next room to check for voltage, though I would imagine your inverts would be affected too if that is the case.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
LMAO! once i dropped my 4 foot light in my tank and was stupid to grab it without turning the power off and boy that was the worst mistake EVER!! surprised my fish survived!
It's not that surprising really. Voltage difference between light and ground - big. Voltage difference from one end of fish to the other - very little, if any.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
This is really weird...I agree that if it's an ongoing problem you yourself would've noticed it by now. I would guess your water source has changed but I'll see what I can find out. My roommates an electrical master. Good luck, man.

:cheers:

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Stray voltage can negatively affect the lateral line system on your fish.
If your closest grounded outlet is 20 feet away you should not be keeping aquariums. PERIOD. End of discussion.

Plugging aquarium electrical equipment into non grounded outlets is warned against in the manuals for every piece of equipment for your aquarium that has a power cord. Educate yourself, get the outlets grounded on a GFI circuit. Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is occasionally fatal.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Stray voltage can negatively affect the lateral line system on your fish.
If your closest grounded outlet is 20 feet away you should not be keeping aquariums. PERIOD. End of discussion.

Plugging aquarium electrical equipment into non grounded outlets is warned against in the manuals for every piece of equipment for your aquarium that has a power cord. Educate yourself, get the outlets grounded on a GFI circuit. Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is occasionally fatal.[/QUOT
My own experience with voltage in SW tanks leads me to believe that any connection between stray voltage and HLLE is tenuous at best. I would love to see some hard science on the subject.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store