Future Brackish Setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
Was going to turn my 55 gallon into a saltwater tank, but just can't afford it right now. So I was going to to go brackish. Here is my stocking plan:
(6) bumblebee gobies
(2-3) flounders
(5) female guppies
(1) male guppy
(6-12) ghost shrimp
(1) dragon goby
(1) knight goby
(1) peacock gudgeon

Also planning on maybe putting in some java moss and maybe some water sprite.

Thoughts?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
BBG are going to dissappear in that size tank, their REALLY small. Flounders are a PIA from what I've heard about them, I don't know much, but it's better to stay away from them.

The rest is fine, you can definitely up the numbers on the others. Have you thought about doing puffers? They're extremely rewarding fish, F8's are great for brackish.

You should check out chromides, they're also cool brackish fish.

Good luck,
Cam

cookymonster760

AC Members
Apr 4, 2011
the tolerate higher levels of salinity than even salt water fish i know because whenever i breed them i have to put a table spoon and a half for every gallon of water

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
BBG are going to dissappear in that size tank, their REALLY small. Flounders are a PIA from what I've heard about them, I don't know much, but it's better to stay away from them.

The rest is fine, you can definitely up the numbers on the others. Have you thought about doing puffers? They're extremely rewarding fish, F8's are great for brackish.

You should check out chromides, they're also cool brackish fish.

Good luck,
Cam
I read that you could have BBG withs most of those fish since they wouldn't bother them, though it did seem to deny logic so I may have to rethink it especially them being so small and the flow in my tank being so high. I sure do like the buggers though.
If flounders are that much of a pain I will probably leave them out. SO that opens me to bigger fish potentially. I will leave out the guppies and shrimp so I can go bigger, so here are some others I am not considering:

I love the look of the desert gobies does anyone know where I can get them. Cost is definately a consideration, but I would be willing to consider them given the cost so..revised list is
dragon goby
knight goby
peacock gudgeon
Desert goby
Archer
Scat
Anaplebs
Sebae (Monos)
May consider a puffer just heard they were crazy aggressive and fin nippers
Chromides
Or white tip shark cats
Thoughts?

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
i have a male currently holding eggs but if you dont want to wait there is an auction on ab right now http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwmixed&1302482717 i have dealt with this person before and i truly believe hes one of the best
I can wait, since I don't have the money in my paypal now and I still need to rehome the crayfish I currently have in the tank. How much are you looking are you looking at for you youngins when you get them? May consider getting a bunch of these and breeding them instead of doing a bunch of different fish. or at least getting one or two to go in the tank.

cookymonster760

AC Members
Apr 4, 2011
well i was thinking of selling them for about 5 bucks when fully grown since they only take about two months to start sexing out

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
Okay definitely contact me when they are ready I will probably get a couple to add to the tank, unless my plans change somehow, thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store