mbuna stocking and tank sizing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

adhogan

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
Marquette Mi
Real Name
Adam
Hey i am looking to stock my 55 gallon regular with mbunas... after researching i have gotten confused on the number of mbunas i can fit in the tank... can some people give me guidance on the amount of mbunas i should get.. pairing... and stocking?? thanks a ton

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Mbuna are harem breeders, so I'd aim for 3 species, with 1m/4f of each species. If you're new to mbuna, you'll probably want to stick to mellower species. Yellow labs, acei, and rusties are all good beginner mbuna options. Socolofi are pretty mellow ime as well.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I have 20~ mbunas and 2 syno cats in my 80g. It's a 4' print and seems to be overstocked as it is. Granted most of the fish in there are approaching 4". In a 55g you could do smaller species like demasoni and yellow labs. They work/look great together and aren't as aggressive as most of the species I keep. I'd guess 6 or 7 of each would put you right. Plus don't worry about pairs...my dominant males breed with whatever is around them at the time they get frisky. They do not bond pairs like tangs and other fish. DO NOT use aqadvisor or anything like that on an mbuna tank by the way...it'll insist you're understocked whatever mbunas are in your tank.

EDIT: overfilter the tank as best you can...aim for 8x turnover on your gph. Good luck!

:cheers:

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Haha if I did it again I'd do a riverine tank...jewels and kribs maybe or something. Baller!!!

adhogan

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
Marquette Mi
Real Name
Adam
dude... how many could i get and what could i put in with them haha... i mean what ever i put in my tank is gunna be there for atleast two or three years... before i can get a bigger tank to put them in or seperate them into...

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
EDIT: overfilter the tank as best you can...aim for 8x turnover on your gph. Good luck!

:cheers:
I cant stress this enough! I am a firm believer in massive over filtration. I have a Eheim 2260 and 2217 on my 125 tang tank..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store