HillStream Loaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Darc

AC Members
Jan 26, 2011
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Real Name
Darcie
I just started a 20 gallon high, so far I've got a betta and 3 blue tetras. Equipped with co2, top fin heater, tetra whisper filter, Flora Max & sand mixed substrate. And Eventually would like it to be pretty well planted.

I want as much information on Hillstream Loaches as i can get. Would 3 be alright in a 20? And do i need to buy some sort of powerhead to have a stronger current?

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
I don't really think Hillstream Loaches would appreciate a co2 rich environment, or a 20high in terms of groundspace. They're more accustomed to shallow rapid water with high o2 and rocks.
x2

Darc

AC Members
Jan 26, 2011
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Real Name
Darcie
Mellowvision! I actually saw your thread with your 30 gallon Hillstream tank, i really liked it. Is there any way for me to give this tank a somewhat rocky scape and add a powerhead, and still have them do well?

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I mean, there's always things you can try but really, you'd just be way better off starting with a 20 long or a 37 long tank... something where you have some length to create directional current in. In a 20H you can make a whirlpool, but you won't really be able to create anything directional, I dont think it would be worth it or that the fish would like it.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Well, I have had sewellia lineolata for close to 3 years now, and here is my set up: they are in a 46bf community tank. I run 2 AC 70 HOB filters for flow (and because the tank is heavily overstocked !), have driftwood and caves (there are also plecos and corys in the tank), and it is moderately planted, no CO2. The tank temp is a constant 80° (yes, I know they prefer cooler temps) !! I have just had my 5th or 6th spawn (tough to keep count because there is so much cover in the tank and the fry are tiny), and they just keep breeding. I started with 10, and have about 20 adults (at least), and an unknown amount of fry. I keep catching the fry and shipping them out, about 9 or 10 at a time, and they keep coming. The parents seem to have turned into the BNs of the loach family ! I have naturaal colored gravel, with rocks scattered around the tank. SO I say, give it a shot. They seem to be very adaptable. Good luck.

Jeremy Smith

Lizard loachnut
May 18, 2006
ma
I would suggest moving the beta if you add the current, what hillstreams are you thinking of? Sewella types could work, not ideal but...could work. Schistura sp would be tough to keep in that small of a tank. I am on my phone I have not learned how to copy and paste links, if you look at my 30gal experiment tank could give them the perferd current. Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store