New 10g build, First SW tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nue

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Salt Lake City
Real Name
Grayson
Hey folks.

Ive finally decided to try a saltwater tank. And since I only have room for another 10g, I'm going in that direction. I have done a lot of research, but i'm certain its not enough. I would love any help or tips from anyone.

So far I got:

10g Tank, which is filled with RO water, and a bag of Instant Ocean sea salt for 10g
240 gph Koralia Powerhead
Whisper HOB filter with only filter floss and ceramic media.
50w Heater
10lbs of Live sand

Ive spray pained the back black with regular spray paint.
The water and salt are in, and now just calibrating the heater.

Ive ordered 10lbs of Fiji live rock, and T5 HO x 2 18w with 1 10k, and 1 Actinic.

This is where I am. Im excited to see where this goes. I dont plan on adding any fish for a while. Sooner or later ill add a snail, and go from there. Obviously Ill want some corals, which ill add at a later time once i've research them more, and get more stable.

I hope so far I'm doing this all correct, I would love any suggestions.

Thank You all.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sounds like a very good start. You may want another 240 Koralia down the road or maybe even one of the 400+ models but for now you're good IMO.

Get more salt and water to have on had. You're going to want to do an ~3gallon water change every week. Without a skimmer on a small tank like that you are going to want to have productive WCs, meaning I would be using your PH to blow detritus off the rocks, vacuuming the sand (but carefully) so I would get a Small diameter siphon and keeping the floss in your HOB filter changed out at least once a week.

The ceramic rings are not going to doany good IMO. Your LR is all you need. I would take out the rings and add some carbon and possibly a small bag of GFO especially if you are only using RO and nor RO/DI. Or you could go with something like Chemipure Elite.

HTH.

Nue

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Salt Lake City
Real Name
Grayson
Cool, thanks for the response!

I was planning on picking up more salt soon, but I use my own RO/DI water (should have specified the Deionization). So I have plenty of that. (should i wait for the tank to start cycling before its first WC)?

I have tons of carbon media, but I though that carbon was bad on SW, or is that down the road when I add corals?

What is GFO?

Thanks a bunch

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
No carbpn and GFO are fine with or without corals and without a skimmer you are going to wnat t run them and keep them changed out when needed. I'd say every 2 weeks on the carbon and every 3 to 4 on the GFO (both sort of depend on how big of a bioload, how much you feed, do water chages, etc). Just use what you need and don't over do it. Too much can alter your alkalinity and in a small tank a small swing could add up. Chemipure Elite is an all in one bag that is just easier to use but may be an option to consider.

GFO is grannular ferric oxide and comes under many names (Rowaphos, Phosban, etc.) and it is used to remove phosphates (algae control). Rowa also removes silicates. There are other manufacturers but it is all pretty much the same stuff and these are probably the 2 most common you can get at LFS.

WC's during the cycle is debated. Those who support, do so under the premise that they are trying to save as much of the life on the rock as possible. Those who don't feel that removing/diluting ammonia, nitrates, etc. through WCs will prolong the cycle. I have seen a few studies and it appears that whether you do them or not your cycle will last about the same time. I'm on the side of doing WCs.

Good that you are using RO/DI.

Nue

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Salt Lake City
Real Name
Grayson
Well I'm in no hurry so ill preform the water changes, I would like to save as much life as possible. What are the chances (if any) of hitchhikers with cured LR, and non cycled tank?

Ill be sure to pick up some GFO and such on my next trip to LFS.

Thanks

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Hitchhikers are possible with just about any LR (cured or not). Sounds like your rock is being shipped so even if it was pulled straight from the ocean and shipped to you, you're gonna have some die off. Some life will survive the cycle and others won't. Just depends on what comes on the rock and how sensative it is.

OhioOilMan

AC Members
Mar 1, 2008
Portsmouth Ohio
Real Name
Ryan Lore
As a rule of thumb with salt water, the smaller the tank the more demanding!

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
^^ Yup.. I'll be interested to see how it turns out for you

Nue

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Salt Lake City
Real Name
Grayson
Thanks all! I think I can keep up with the demands of this tank. I know it will be much more challenging then a larger one. LR comes in tomorrow, and the lights come in about 5 days. The light im using now is just a standard florescent bulb. Will this will be okay, until the lights will get here?

Also should I add the sand before or after the LR?

What should I do about the ammonia source? Will I get enough ammonia from the LR to start my cycle, Or should I add some?

I went a head and removed the ceramic media, and added a bag of API activated carbon. I could find any where online that said not to use the API brand for possible leaching of phosphate. I rinsed real good just in case.

How important is it to get a phosphate remover, can I not keep the levels down by frequent water changes?

Thanks for all the help!

Here is a pic so far.
SW10G-1.jpg

SW10G-1.jpg

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
Personally, if you want a goby, id add the rock then the sand, but if you dont, id add the sand THEN the live rock

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store