Tanganyikan Eel - Red Gills + Bottom

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I just bought a 5" Tanganyikan Eel and I love the guy. He is incredibly shy, but beautiful. I have a couple questions though. First, why are the poor guy's gills red and what is the little sack like thing under him.

A bit unrelated, how could it be that my tap has a ph of 7.4 and my qt tank has a ph of 8.4 when I didn't add anything? (There is some limestone in the tank, but not much.)

Anyway, my sincerest apologies for the horrible pictures. Eel 2.JPGEel 1.JPG

Eel 2.JPG Eel 1.JPG

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
No clue what's going on with the belly, but it looks badly emaciated. Red gills may be ammonia burn, parasites, or simply irritated by something in the environment. Most Tang spiney eels prefer to burrow in the substrate just like their Asian relatives. Not being able to take cover will only increase the stress on the fish. Try feeding frozen bloodworms, if it lives you may be able to switch it over to NLS pellets.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I agree he looks very thin. Tanganyikan eels are all wild caught and it looks like he's had a rough transport. I would try to get him eating ASAP. Try blood worms and if that doesn't work try some live black worms. Mine goes crazy for both. The limestone is most likely causing the high PH which is good. These guys come from a lake with a PH as high as 9. Once eating he should be fine. I'm not sure on the species, (I have an elipsifer) but mine has been really easy to care for and even switched to pellets on his own.

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I'll get on the bloodworms asap. He's not eating other stuff. The pet store wasn't exactly good to him. The water he is in is 100% cycled, clean, and PH friendly for him, so I guess he is just stressed or still hurt from the LFS.

Thanks

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Bloodworms = success

I'll continue to feed him bloodworms, but I don't want him to get hooked on goodies (unless he can just live off of only bloodworms). Suggestions? Also, he will be in my 29 until he gets a little bigger and then hes getting moves to the 90 gallon. Any ideas on tank mates for the 29/90?

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Keep feeding blood worms everyday for a while and he'll be fine. You can try other frozen foods along the way. Mine ate only blood worms for the first few months I had him and he was fine. He didn't care for frozen krill but likes frozen brineshrimp and live black worms.

For tankmates other Tanganyikans are the way to go. Mine lives with some shell dwellers and calvus and doesn't bother either. They tend to mind their own business.

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Any big Tanganyikans that would play nice with him?

How big is your eel? He doesn't eat the shellies?

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Mine is 8" long and I've had him since last July. He doesn't bother the shellies since it's easier to just wait for me to give him food. They have really small mouths. They will eat eggs and possible fry though mine left newborn endler fry alone. I started with my eel in a 29 gallon then upgraded him to a 40 breeder. Once large enough he'll go in a 80 gallon.

For larger tankmates it would depend on the size of your eel. Like I said before calvus and comps are a good choice and they eventually get to be 5-6 inches. Trets would be an option, leulupi, cyps, brichardi ect.

This would be mixing lakes but I would think some malawi haps would be fine.

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thats awesome! I forgot how small there mouths were haha. You should post a pic of the guy.

What I really want is to have him with a Frontosa (in a 125), but I'm not sure how it will work out. My thought is that if I raise him with a mpimbwe or a 7 stripe it will be fine, but I don't want the eel to get slurped up like a noodle. Realistically I think it would work if the eel is big enough and there are some other "distractor" fish for the front, but I'm not sure. The only reason I am thinking this far ahead is because if I could have him with a front I want have to raise him with the front.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I had a pair of plagiostoma eels that lived on frozen bloodworms with frozen brine shrimp as an occaisonal treat for variety for several years. They spawned multiple times, but the male ate the eggs. They were housed in a 29 until I lost them due to a power outage.
A front would eat the eel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store