Help!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Need some advice, quick status. :screwy:

I'm breaking down my 40g breeder and converting it from fresh to salt. I'm getting 40g of established water, roughly 30 lbs of established sand, and 50 lbs of live rock all for free from this guy that worked at the chain. Quick question is...what can I do to help out the live rock considering I don't have a skimmer/sump yet? No fish, just inverts and hitchhikers. Should I sanitize the filters on there and get some new media or just let it chill? Thanks!

:cheers:

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
You don't need anything but flow and heat.

If you are using your FW filters, I would wash them with a vinegar and warm water soak and use all new media (carbon and some sort of filter pad/floss that should be changed regularly. You should also have a powerhead or two in there. not critical just for LR but if you have anything else, you will want more flow than a simple HOB or cansiter filter.

What kind of inverts are we talking about?

FYI, there really is no such thing as "established water". The water has very little bacteria, if any at all. All the good stuff resides in the sand and rock which sounds like it is coming from an existing system. That is good but it will not necessarily prevnt you from having a cycle especially since the sand will get stirred up pretty good by removing it from your system and placing it in your tank. It may not last long but the potential for an ammonia soike is there and if those inverts are something you don;t want to lose, I would find them a temporary safe home or at leaste be prepared to do lots of water changes to dilute ammonia, etc.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Thanks, dude. And by the way for your fyi I meant already saltwater, meaning I do not have to mess with the salinity or worry about getting it right before I add the rock :) And he was very unclear as to what inverts but he mentioned pistol shrimp. I'm moving a powerhead from my 80g for the time being and giving any inverts I find to a friend at the lfs. Thanks again!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You'll still want a hydrometer, and test the salinity immediately. Be prepared to top off with FW to keep it stable. I guess I don't understand the concern--mixing up SW is not complicated.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Thanks! I ordered a refractometer today on ebay and am getting a hydrometer for free from the guy. He's very concerned about it and wants to make sure I do it right.

:cheers:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store