Silent Brackish Cycling..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MuddyMudskipper

AC Members
Sep 2, 2010
Hi all,

I was curious to see if anyone had tried the Silent cycling method in a brackish set-up? I have just attempted it for the first time and it seems to have been successful.
I have a 400l aquarium which I initially filled with several large Java ferns and Java mosses and put in some rotting shrimp and cycled water from other tank set-ups I have. After a few days I put in a couple of mollies. A few days later one of them gave birth to about 25 fry. I transferred most of these to other tanks and left a few in. 2 and a half months later I have only seen small amounts of ammonia (water test) and very little if anything on the API strip tests for nitrites/ nitrates (im aware that strip tests arent always great-but ive been using them regularly).

The fish all seem fine and I have had an algal bloom which they have helped to curb (as has reduced hours of light)..

2 and a half months later am I right to assume that the silent cycle has been successful?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
There is no such thing as cycled water. Your mollies would have given birth anyway. You put them in with the rotting shrimp??? If you see ammonia after 10 weeks, the tank is not cycled. You are causing them undue torture in that tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store