Goby question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
Hi all,
I'm thinking about getting a little 5.5 gallon aquarium to house a pair of either White Cheeked Gobies (Rhinogobius Wui/Duospilus) OR a pair of Desert Gobies (Chlamydogobius eremius). They'll be the only animals, and I'll have sand substrate with some light planting and caves available. I'd love if I could get them to breed.
Any thoughts on which would be more comfortable in the small space? Also, I'd love if anyone could share experiences with the Desert Goby especially, as it seems less common.
Thanks!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Hey Aaron how's it going? Deserts get bigger, but a 5 would be fine for a pair. They're about as forgiving as a fish can be in terms of water. They'll thrive in anything from straight fresh to salinities well above that of natural seawater. I kept them about 10 yrs ago for a while, but I found them a bit boring and certainly no challenge to maintain. That's a double kiss of death in my fishroom!

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
I found them a bit boring and certainly no challenge to maintain. That's a double kiss of death in my fishroom!
Heh.
It's going well! Thanks for the input. What did you find boring about them? I found my single female Rhinogbius Wui to be really entertaining to watch (this was 10 years ago or so).
And easy sounds good to me. Did you ever get those shark eggs to hatch?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Gobies just don't do it for me. Not active enough I guess! A bunch of the sharks hatched out and we sold a bunch as eggs as well. I still have a couple left that should be hatching soon.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Rhinogobius beg for food, and will generally ham it up in interesting ways. Rhinos no contest. If the wui are to common for you, there are a bunch of interesting ones currently available. A 5.5 would be fine for a pair, but I'd suggest you go bigger, so you could keep more than 1 male and see their most interesting behaviors, which are generally territorial in nature.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store