Bad Bacteria?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chrisstager

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
DSCN0588.JPG Been trying real hard to get my nitrates to go bye bye. A days ago i had surgery done on my neck so i won't be able to do a water change this week and maybe next week either so I decided to give Instant Ocean natural nitrate reducer. First which it dosen't tell you it will lower your PH quikly but i expected that so wasn't a problem. After a day I appeared to have a brown out on my sand, and now the area of the brown has turned pink. Isn't this unwanted bacteria or is it the bacteria in the product that turns nitrate to nitrogen gas? Here is pic

DSCN0573.JPG DSCN0588.JPG

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Looks like a bit of diatom algae to me. New tank? Circulation? Occupants? The nitrifiers that process nitrates live in low 02 areas, so it's not them.

NoMoreToys

AC Members
Mar 24, 2011
Laos looks like the pink mold that we get on the rubber strips around the windows of the RV...... It would be nice to figure out how to mitigate it.

chrisstager

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Looks like a bit of diatom algae to me. New tank? Circulation? Occupants? The nitrifiers that process nitrates live in low 02 areas, so it's not them.
Tank been running about a year 110 gallon. Have plenty of circulation have koralia circulation pump. This stuff apeared day after using nitrate reducer. My tank includes yellow tang, purple tile fish, fredmani, pair of marron clowns, flame angel, corral beauty angel, and a small commit. My parms are amonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20 ph 8.3 salinity .024

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd still suspect diatoms dying in droves. If the substrate is stirred up, does it come back? See signs of it on anything else?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Do you know the phosphate level?

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
What of your tanks water currents, which water pumps and how many do you have in your tank, for dead water spots can do some strange things by allowing you to think its something other then what your problem really is. Your a deep tank for I too years ago kept a 110 gal tank, and in any tank system we need to make sure that no matter how much LR we have in the tank, you need to make sure that your no dead water spots. For when I was running a 130 gal tank, it had five water pumps for this tank was loaded with LR. only once during my years in this hobby did i ever see this in one of my tanks.
Buddy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store