My New Addition

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hope4peace

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
White Mountains of NH
Real Name
Amanda
Today I got a 1 1/2 year old male ball python from a local breeder. I have wanted a snake ever since I was just a little girl, but have been putting it off due to the feeding part. My husband however who has some experience with snakes from an old girlfriend has agreed to help with the feeding until I am ready. I am already in love with him! We dont have a name yet because I want it to be perfect, but I know I want it to be an old like greek god or something. Something powerful at least. Hes very handsome and is crawling on me right now. Pics soon to come!

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
well cant really recommend names but if you have a problem with feeding live animals you might what to buy some frozen rats or mice for them it actually safer for the snake, and usually cheaper for you. all you do to de-thaw them is put them in hot water for a while then once thay are thaw you dry them off with a paper towel, just don't microwave them (yes i know that sounds a bit strange). also congrads thay really are good animals

hope4peace

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
White Mountains of NH
Real Name
Amanda
we actually were not planning on live anyways. The woman I got him from says he already accepts frozen thawed so we should be good. I will definitely come here for any questions though.

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
Some of my favorite Greek God/other mythical figure names: Dionysus, Hyperion, Poseidon, Atlas, Zeus, Aries or Ares. Good luck with your new family memeber. Can't wait to see pis. :)

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I used to have 2 boa's and called them Igor and Quasimoto (Quasi for short) from Young Frankenstein!! Good luck with your Pythons, they are a fun snake to have. Can't wait to see pics. How big is he?

hope4peace

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
White Mountains of NH
Real Name
Amanda
He appears to be about 3ft but I haven't measured yet.

Question:

I was using the eco earth coconut husk for substrate but it was too moist and the humidity was over 80%. What is the best way to dry it out? I would leave it out in the sun, but its been rainy here the past few weeks. Would it be okay to put it in the oven on low? Right now I took all the eco earth out of the tank and just put down papertowels. I turned off the under tank heater because I dont think the paper towels are enough to keep his belly from being cooked, but I have a heating night light that will hopefully keep it warm enough in there tonight.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
You really don't want to use that for bedding at all. Try something like aspen shavings.

hope4peace

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
White Mountains of NH
Real Name
Amanda
You really don't want to use that for bedding at all. Try something like aspen shavings.
I did a lot of looking around online and I found many sources saying that the eco earth was fine to use. There were a few people who said they had problems, but most said they have used it without incident. may I ask why you feel it is a bad choice??

you can also use something like carefresh i use it for my blue tongue skink.
I really hate carefresh. It was okay for my hamster but I tried it with other animals and did not care for it at all. Too dusty, and not natural looking. Thanks for the suggestion though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store