Blackmoor sick or lazy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
First of all, do some new readings. You can't have zero ammonia AND zero nitrAtes. Thats not possible. On top of that, you report that you have zero nitrites.

If you dont have nitrAtes, that means your tank is newly setup and is still cycling. However, that would mean you'd have ammonia. See why I'm confused? ;)

Next, like all fancy goldfish, Black Moors should have a heater of some decent quality. They like water at or around 73-75 degrees F. This helps aid in the digestion of their food and makes them more active.

However, if he is just sitting around not moving, I would check for other signs of diseases. Does your fish have clamped fins, or does he/she have a tail with blood streaks in it? Is there white "salt" like grains on the sides and tail of the fish? These are all signs for a more serious disease. More info will help us better help you. BTW...what size tank is your fish in, and is he alone?

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
the tank has been set up for over 6 months. the tank has 250L of water and houses 1 blackmoor 4 fantial goldfish, weather loach and two hillstream loachs.
the setup has a corner power fitler, airstone and fitler and i do a 15% water change weekly sometimes twice weekly.

New readings
Ammonia 0.6
Nitrates 0-5 mg/L
Nitrite 0-0.1 mg/L

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Hmmm...I'm not good with liters at all. :confused:

But now your saying you have both ammonia and nitrates? This is also very unlikely, sayings how ammonia is in a tank which is newly setup and cycling and nitrates are in an established tank which isn't cycling. SO, I don't see how you can have BOTH.

And the readings are in ppm (parts per million), not mg/L. This could confuse others if you posted it as mg/L so thats why I mentioned it. ;)

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
250L is around 57 uk gallons

The ammonia is probably from the water change i did before reading your reply. Tap water contains chloramine the water conitioner will remove the chlorine but the ammonia will stay in the tank untill the bacteria use it.

there is no sign of disease, all fins are fine.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
hmmm I guess that makes more sense, but I would still question the test kits your using as I've never had ammonia come from doing a water change. Infact, I haven't seen ammonia present in my tanks since the first time my tanks have cycled.

goldene

AC Members
Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
Depending on which water conditioner you are using, you can get one that removes chlorine and chlorime, I use tetra aquasafe which came up in a servey as the best one, but its down to personal choice.
You won't get ammonia from the fresh water but from the fish waste, and the filter bacteria plus the part water changes should clear that, I would get a different test kit and check your readings again. I think your black moor is trying to tell you that all is not well.

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
its worse!

i've had water tested by aquatic store they say there is no problem. i've had new test kit, nitrite 0, nitrate 0-5 and ammoina 0
pH is 7.2.

The blackmoor is still on the bottom, but still feeding. the problem now is that one of my fantails is doing the same. :sad

there is no sign of damage, disease or stress.

Could it be internal? anymore ideas:confused:

goldene

AC Members
Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
Well your water seems fine, It could be down to swimbladder trouble, sometimes they just sit on the bottom or hang upside down at the top of the tank, try giving them some garden peas slightly blanched peeled and chopped small enough for them to eat and see if there is any improvement, be sure to remove any uneaten peas as they will pollute the water. what is the temperture of your tank again as fancy goldfish seem to like it slightly warmer than the commom goldfish as they are more susceptible to chills.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store