40g breeder fowlr checklist!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Getting 50 lbs of live rock, 2" worth of live sand, and 40 gallons of saltwater from a friend's tank on monday afternoon. Finally. I'm too excited to really get into detail, but this is what I plan on ordering soon from stores and a vendor here on the site:

koralia evo 550 x2
bubble magus bm-nac5e protein skimmer
10 gallon diy sump
300w heater

The tank is a 40g breeder. My only thing is I'm not quite sure how to angle the 2 evos to ensure a gnarly but workable flow. I want it to keep the rock clean and waste off the bottom without tossing around any crabs/snails I have in there. I'm 100% new to salt and want to do this right. Thanks in advance!

:cheers:

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
For a FOWLR the 550's will work but I think I would bump it to at least 2x750s or possible a 750 and a 1050. I have 2 x 1050s in my 40B reef and other than some careful placement of some corals that prefer lower flow it works very well. I do have one 1050 in the corner behind a rock so the direct flow from that PH is somewhat obstructed. If you plan on putting all 50 lbs in the display I would want more flow evn though this is only a FOWLR (for now at least :evil_lol:).

Nice choice on the skimmer.

Might want to get 2x150W heaters in lieu of the 1 300W. If the 300W sticks there is a good chance you will cook your tank whereas if one of the smaller heaters stick it will at least take longer to do the same. What brand heater are you considering?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Thanks again, dude. I was considering the 750s but the guy I'd like to order from doesn't stock them. Might as well get the skimmer from him, though. I feel like a 750 and 1050 would be too much...but I'm not the experienced one here :) :cheers: I have 2 extra non-brand 300w heaters that I've had working for about 6 months I was going to use for this tank as well. One of them anyways. I'm sure I can sub it out for 2 150w jagers whenever I get the money, just to be safe, but I've had no problems with any of them yet so I'm probably going to stick my tight budget until after the 1st. Frackin' bills and rent get my everytime. Revised list looks like this then:

2 evo 750s or 1 750, 1 1050
bm-nac5e skimmer
300w heater (will prob change to 2 150s)

you're the man, greech.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store