leporicanthicus breeding opinions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lethalcustoms00

gearhead extrordinare
Jan 16, 2010
Gillette wyo
i am slowly gathering vampire plecos to try to breed. my focus is on L240, but i am a fan of the L264, grey leporicanthicus. does anyone have any experience keeping those two fish together? would they constanly be fighting ro would they get over it and co exist?

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Best to keep one species/tank unless you're using a divider to separate them. Totally different pleco's like Ancistrus would be fine as tankmates provided their dietary needs are met. A pair or trio of common BN may actually help encourage spawning. They spawn quite easily and often in aquariums, and the hormones may help the get the vampires into the mood if they're properly conditioned.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I'm not real familiar with the 264s, but I have some 6"+ 240s, and the males are pretty aggressive. I only have a male and 2 females (looking for another pair, but need similar size or it won't survive. Trust me, I tried it !) So I would agree with what Todd said and keep it a species only tank, especially if you are going to try and breed them. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store