Difficulty of keeping exotic Plecos?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1tankneverenuff

CephHead
Feb 13, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
I never used to be interested in these fish until I began to see some of the real pretty ones. I'm thinking of getting a few such as the Gold Nugget, Royal, Zebra, and other exotic ones. I've heard you need a mature, well established tank to keep these beautiful fish alive. So, what would it really take if I wanted to get some?

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
It really depends on what you want. Some of the plecs you mentioned get large and need a large tank. Most of the Gold Nuggets and the Royals get around a foot long (depends on what species for the Gold Nugget since there are 3, 1 gets 8, 12, and 18 inches). The Zebra is a carnivore and needs to be fed meaty foods to survive (bloodworms work great) and all should be housed with driftwood. Most will hide most of the time only venturing out at night. They should be kept with a lot of water flow since they come from rivers. They should really be kept with semi peaceful fish to peaceful fish. No aggressive fish since many are smart enough to go for the eyes. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck.

wayne

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Warm, well oxygenated water is a good starting point. No ammonia or nitrite ever, limited nitrate. Research is useful for these fish - royals are herbivores, zebras carnivores and nuggets general substrate browsers - lots of people have problems keeping nuggets alive, most die of starvation.
Try planetcatfish.com for more info than you would ever want. But apart from a few 'black spots' many of these fish aren't too terrible to keep.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
The biggest difficulty is getting them acclimated in the first place, take your time and be thourough, and keep the lights out for several hours to reduce stress. Once acclimated good water, and the right food and some driftwood are really all they need.

damion

AC Members
Feb 23, 2003
Visit site
I don't think it take too much to care for them. As long was your h20 parameters are good. I have 4"s gold nugget,mango,and tiger, 6" royal and 7" common housed with loaches,botia,black shark and very agressive Jardini

1tankneverenuff

CephHead
Feb 13, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
I got my first one yesterday fellas. He is the Green Phantom, also known as the Yellow or Gold Pleco. He's about 2.5" long and couldn't be more colorful! He seems to be doing fine right now, wish me luck!

clayt101

Registered Abuser
I have kept several "exotics". I have had absolutely no luck with gold nuggets. I used to keep zebras. I had nine of them at one time, and was attempting to breed them. I ended up selling them to another breeder. Zebras don't need driftwood, but they do need hiding spots. In addition, they are not great at competing for food. I think they do best in a species aquarium.

I have kept Royals. The thing to remember is that they must have driftwood, and they get large.

I am currently keeping a Goldy, and it is doing great and is very beautiful.

In addition, I am currently breeding albino bristlenoses.

1tankneverenuff

CephHead
Feb 13, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
I made an order for a Royal, King Tiger, and Gold Nugget recently. I'm really excited. But, do you know where I could purchase a Zebra? The Zebra is sooo hard to find and yet one of the most beautiful Plecos in my opinion.

damion

AC Members
Feb 23, 2003
Visit site
Zebras are hard to find. Saw one on the net for $85 recently but forgot the site. Ever seen a emerald pleco? Black with emerald green dots, very nice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store