Angel's not getting along

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ddlbrooks

AC Members
Mar 3, 2010
Flushing, MI
I have a 120 gal community tank that I have 4 koi angels in. They have been together for about a year. I have a pair out of the four. Obviously the two that have paired off have dominated the tank and I mean the entire tank. The other two stayed primarily to one end and they are all healthy. Lately though one of the two singles have kind of joined the pair and they pick on the other single one. It's kind of like the pair tolerate the one angel and allow him/her to be at their end but the other single one has to stay at the other end. What's interesting is the one that is being forced to stay alone at one end of tank has always been a bit challenging to the male of the pair. I feel bad and not sure what to do. I have a 29 gal that is not being used, should I set it up and put one or two fish in there?
Thanks for your help

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
I know very little about angelfish but I was in that same situation in my 60g just recently and I ended up pretty quickly netting one of the aggressors and putting him or her in my 33long and now everybody is totally happy. I just couldn't stand to see them fight plus I figured sooner or later one of them would get sick from stress or injuries.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Usually in a larger tank a pair will co exist with other angels..providing there is ample cover in the tank which may help to set up territories.. in these tanks vertical structure usually helps.
other wise move the pair to the 29 and let them breed

ddlbrooks

AC Members
Mar 3, 2010
Flushing, MI
Thanks for the response and what you suggested is exactly what I ended up doing. My tank is heavily planted with tall plants but that didn't help. Everyone is much happier now, even MaMa...it stressed me out at night watching the fighting going on.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Glad that worked out for you (moving the fish)
Angelfish aggression varies considerably.

I have some pairs that will not tolerate any other angels in the tank.. breeding or any time.
I also have some that get along fine.. and the occasional super aggressive angelfish that fight with any angel in the tank...I find this particularly true with Captive (wild) caught Scalare.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store