i wanna make my puffer marine

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Karma954

Say hi to Tweezy :D
Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
i wasnt sure where to put this.. i have a green spotted puffer whos gotta be about 2.5 years old. i have had him in freshwater since i bought him about a year and 8 months ago. i want to turn him into marine. how do i do that? whats the process?

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Well... with every weekly water change, add *roughly* 1/2 cup marine salt for every 5g of water in the tank. This will raise the SG by 1.0025 each week. Right now, it's 1.000, in 2 weeks, it would be 1.005, etc. You're striving to get it to around 1.025, so it will take about 10 weeks. This has to be gradual for the 'good bacteria' to adapt to the salt. You should purchase a hygrometer.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Well... with every weekly water change, add *roughly* 1/2 cup marine salt for every 5g of water in the tank. This will raise the SG by 1.0025 each week. Right now, it's 1.000, in 2 weeks, it would be 1.005, etc. You're striving to get it to around 1.025, so it will take about 10 weeks. This has to be gradual for the 'good bacteria' to adapt to the salt. You should purchase a hygrometer.
Pretty good way to kill the puffer, imo.

Sounds like cycling s/w tank with puffer in it as such system needs to establish new strains of BB as water conditions changes to s/w, not f/w BB adapting to s/w conditions.

Although possible if and only if one knows how but requires very close monitoring as well as necessary wc (perhaps many: expensive) in order to keep puffer alive. One mishap can yield very unhapppy scenario.
Not worth the efforts via suggested, imo.

Unless OP knows how to do as suggested above, should approach different methods or leave it as is.
After all, I am sure OP is very attched to puffer under his/her care for over 1-1/2 yr.

Hope all goes well!

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I have transitioned many GSPs from brackish to full marine over the course of time. Get yourself some marine salt mix and SLOWLY add it over time till you reach a brackish salinity.. Then give it a break.

I would hit google hard before jumping into this. Especially if you have never had a salt tank before..

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
A hygrometer is a very necessary tool. If you want to know the relative humidity of the water in your tank.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The real issue here isn't transitioning the fish, but the biological filtration. The fish can adapt to varying salinities, the bacteria can't. The FW types will die out and SW ones will need time to establish, since you're cycling a new tank. You'll need two tanks to do this safely.

Karma954

Say hi to Tweezy :D
Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
yah i jsut realized how hard this really is.. way too **** technical

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store