HELP SHRIMPYS WITH LOACHES?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mizukie

AC Members
Mar 9, 2011
okay so the other day while looking at some facs about red cherry shrimp it said on one sheet do not mix well with loaches.
my tank is 150 gallon
florite gravel dark (plan on getting florite black sand to top off)

so far i have

11 guppys
5 platys
3 mollies
3 swords
3 neons
2 skirted tretas

for the bottoms guys i have

4 julli corys
6 pepperd corys
5 khulis
7 yoyo loachs
2 bumblebee catfish ( unsure about these guys with the kuhulis as well)
5 ghost shrimp that now seem to be 7
22 red cherry shrimp still w8ing to get bigger in the breeder box with 6 mystery fry and some java moss

so are the loachs bad with the cherry shrimp? but that seems odd as it has been 2 weeks since i've had the ghost shrimp and none seem to be missing from the first 5 a got though now i have 7 so they cant be doing bad? also worryed about the catfish going after the khulis as they are still pretty small:eek: any ideas?

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I would think that the yoyo loaches would eat the shrimp. I don't know why they haven't eaten the ghost shrimp already! How big are the yoyo's? I have a big old yoyo loach that holds his own against the African cichlids. No one messes with him. I don't think a shrimp would last too long at all.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Some of the baby shrimp will most likely get eaten by the loaches, but I did keep RCS in my 125 for a couple years, many of the babies were able to hide till adulthood, and thrive, but after a couple years they all dissappeared.

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
With enough cover, some shrimp should survive, but it's not going to look like a shrimp breeding tank, that's for sure. Keep in mind that shrimp are low on the food chain and will always be viewed as prey by carnivorous/omnivorous fish no matter how well fed.

About the substrate ... Adding sand over gravel doesn't really work long-term as smaller grains will sift down through the larger ones. Eventually, you've have mostly sand under gravel. Depending on the grain size, depth of the bed and presence of burrowing critters, you could end up with a compaction problem. Just fyi.

Tank sounds terrific: Let's see some pics! :)

mizukie

AC Members
Mar 9, 2011
[YT]rz1d_gLoakc[/YT]
there we go i hope that works but yes just the other day i saw my yoyo loachs eating a dead shrimpy! though im not sure if it had already died and the other shrimps started eating it first and then the yoyos or if the yoyos ate it first seeing as the yoyos were fighting other ghost shrimp to eat it :confused:

Jeremy Smith

Lizard loachnut
May 18, 2006
ma
Bumble bee cats? Or the gobies? If they are the cats i am thinking of they will get big enough to eat a good number of the sp you have. They are a 3-5 inch pimilodes type cat. Anything that is under 1/3 their size is lunch.

Dimil

AC Members
Nov 17, 2008
Based on my experience, some day loaches will get a taste of a shrimpies, after that it took about 2 weeks untill my population of shrimps in that tank was gone, and loaches got fatter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store