Tadpole question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Okay, I don't ever encourage people to take animals from the wild but I collected some tadpoles because I want to see what species of frog or toad they turn into, at which point I'll release them.

I found them in shallow, stagnant water that was bubbling, green, and was full of mosquito larvae. So I've been keeping them in a critter keeper to try to copy the conditions I found them in but I'm wondering if it'd be okay to put them into a filtrated and aerated ten gallon aquarium?

The water quality would be much better, they'd have more room to swim and even though that all sounds like it would be better than a critter keeper, I wonder if it could actually be harmful since it's so different than what they were living in in the wild.

So should I not move them into the filtrated and aerated 10 gallon? Can harm be done by bettering their habitat?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Sounds good to me. You may want to include a way for them to get onto land, it may help mimic their growth of legs in the wild...

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
You would be fine transferring them to better conditions. I would actually encourage you to do so..
I know it sounds like the obvious answer would be yes but I was keeping in mind that some animals actually prefer and thrive in less than ideal conditions and too good of a thing can sometimes kill things. I think these are woodfrog tadpoles since I found them in a vernal pool. Vernal pools have really bad water quality.

Sounds good to me. You may want to include a way for them to get onto land, it may help mimic their growth of legs in the wild...
I have a turtle dock that I need to find but it'd be perfect.

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I usually keep various tadpoles each year and then turn them loose when they become frogs, and I have done both with mostly the same results. I usually keep them in a critter keeper with some plants and rocks and such with some things sticking out of the water since a lot of toads and froglets will drown once they transform if they have no way out of the water. I have kept them in an aquarium with minnows before also though and achieved much the same amount of survival, so I think it's really up to you. My personal view on it is that I am not keeping them long and have no need to put them in any of my regular tanks and it is easier to set up places for them to crawl out of the water, and also to feed them in a bare bottomed critter keeper. Best of luck on raising them. Tadpoles are so cute. You should post pics. :)

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Make sure you use a sponge filter if you're going to switch to an aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store