125 Gallon Stocking Thoughts?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Hey all, I'm planning on getting a 125 around june, as a reward for my job at school this year (I love setting low standards lol)

I want an O for this tank, but I also need to fit my 2 baby Jurpari's (Picked these guys up yesterday, couldn't resist the deal) They are in my 55 right now, but I may end up giving them the 37 until they are ready to go into the 125 with a baby oscar.

So heres what I'm thinking:

1 Oscar
Luecostica (4", I already have him)
2 Jurupari's (babies ATM, I plan on upping this number to 4)
Pictus Catfish

Is this going to work? What kind of numbers for each species am I looking at? I was planning on going mostly plantless, except for a couple huge and anchored Java Ferns or something.

At what size would it be appropriate to introduce the baby Jurupari's (Harley Rasbora/ Panda Cory size) with a 1" Oscar?

Last edited by a moderator:

abarilot

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
By the Beach!
Real Name
Armand
Satanoperca is slow growing genius. Maybe try multiple small meals everyday with lots of WCs and see how they look. Once they get in the 3" range they should be fine. Not sure about the Oscar so hopefully someone chimes in!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Ok, I can grow them out in my 37 or 55 until they are ready. I heard that Oscars grow about an inch every month, so I'm thinking 5" for the Jurupari size when they go in with a baby O.

What about Pictus, are they going to be targeted by the O? I plan on getting adult pictus, and was thinking 5 is a good number.

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
You may want to be wary with the pictus and Oscar. Mine got along great until my O's decided that the pictus looked like great snacks.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I'll skip the pictus then. I know that they are a PITA to net, so I imagine they don't go down easily.

So maybe:

1 Oscar
5 Jurupari
1 Luecostica

and....?

abarilot

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
By the Beach!
Real Name
Armand
Though its going to look pretty barren for awhile, once all the fish are fully grown your current stock should fill it out nicely. If you are into plecos you could add a larger growing one

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I may add in a pleco, although my sailfin/common or whatever he was, died a week ago, and I'm still kinda bummed about it. If I get a pleco, then I'll probobly rescue a common or get something fancy shmancy.

Do you think that the Lueco will be happy by himself, or should I go with 3 Juruparis, and 3 Luecos?

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
I would stick to the smaller to medium sized plecos that way you don't max out your tank with the pleco. A couple bristlenose plecos (grown out) would be good.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Rafael catfish!
These guys look pretty cool, I heard that they hide a lot though...

I would stick to the smaller to medium sized plecos that way you don't max out your tank with the pleco. A couple bristlenose plecos (grown out) would be good.
I might put a BN or two (or 3) in there, I'll probobly end up getting something like a clown though, just because I already have BN's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store