Carib Sea African Cichlid Mix (Sahara Sand)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr.55

AC Members
Apr 15, 2010
Louisiana
Im thinking about adding Carib Sea's Sahara African Cichlid Mix to my aquarium. I would like to hear your pro's and con's on sand beacuase I have never used sand before.

Jim in Michiana

Tanganyikan Lover
Feb 23, 2009
LaPorte, Indiana
Sand makes a great substrate. Personally though, I'd never used sand bagged for the aquarium trade as it's too costly. I'm using both pool filter sand (it's light in color) and play sand (requires more rinsing because of the clay content). The fish don't know the difference !!! PFS is around $9 a bag, and playsand is half of that.

I'd never go back to gravel, crushed coral, etc....... too much of a chance for the substrate to turn into a nitrate factory when using these if you ask me.

Sand or bare bottom from now on for me.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Carib Sea's Sahara African Cichlid Mix probably assist in creating/maintaining hadness/pH preferred by Rift Valley AC , not too mention buffering ability, which common sand may not do at all. But there are other ways to create/provide all of above when using common sand.
I even used many different sands made/promoted for s/w in such AC set ups without any issues.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I have the Carib Sea African Cichlid Mix (Ivory Coast Sand) in my 55gal mbuna tank for almost 3 years now. It is not cheap, but it's a great substrate to buffer the high pH and hardness needed by these fishes. Yeah, there are other cheaper ways to provide these conditions, but I love that sand texture and color.

Jim in Michiana

Tanganyikan Lover
Feb 23, 2009
LaPorte, Indiana
I probably should clear up my first post a bit.

Premium branded aquarium specific substrates may have some value when used to address water quality. My post reflects the fact that I keep over 100 tanks....... Therefore, the use of premium substrates at their MUCH higher price would be unbelieveably expensive for me. My water comes from a well, and is not in need of a buffer nor pH adjustment for the fish that I keep. That is why I am using the cheaper alternative. If you have a need to "adjust" your water, then by all means, use whatever means are necessary. Remember that stability of quality water conditions in your tank is more important than trying to replicate the composition of the water in the wild. Find what works for you, and try to keep it as simple as possible.

Just my 2 cents worth !

Thanks, Jim

stylEmon

BLAM sucka BLAM
Mar 11, 2011
100 tanks!!! wow :O

I use the CaribSea sand, and I love the way it looks, provides a nice pH balance and buffering.
It is messy though. You have to rinse it before putting it in the tank, and it will still leave your tank cloudy for a day or two. Then vacuuming / most tank maintainence kicks the sand up again. To avoid that, it takes a lot of extra time/caution when cleaning. It looks great tho, no doubt about that.

Last edited:

Mr.55

AC Members
Apr 15, 2010
Louisiana
I went with play sand...........I have had my fish for close to a year and the tank conditions where fine without special buffing sand......I would have preferred the Carib Sea Sand but didnt have the change to get it so I went with play sand and I'll just keep maintaining my tank the way I have been doing and it should be fine.Thankz for all the help everyone......I'll post up some pics asap!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store