clownfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
hey guys, i have a question about clownfish. i originally bought two clownfish, one died within a day, the other lived for a while, i bought another from a different store to go along with him, then the second one died. now the third one is starting to worry me. all my parameters are good. i have noticed this though, after a few days, the clownfish seems to not eat, or eat very little, and almost seems that his lips and mouth swell up. so much so that eventually he doesnt close his mouth. can anyone help me with this? i dont know what to do anymore except give up on clown fish. its in a 75 gallon, with two damsels, and a yellow tang. all others seem to be healthy. although i just got the tang, but he seems to be doing fine, just a little shy hehe

thanx

caz

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I haven't got any brilliant ideas, but a few things to consider.
1. Tank-reared clowns occasionally have developmental defects. Mine both have slightly deformed mouths. Were they from the same brood?
2. Brooklynella. Infects the gills, causing inflammation. link
3. Ich (cryptocaryon). It hits the gills first, causing the fish to gasp. They will also often have poor appetites. Not likely if your other fish are OK.

I wish I could say something more useful.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
thanx for the responses guys.

my parameters are fine, 0 nitrites, around 10 nitrates, 8.2 ph, 1.023 salinity, 78 degrees, ammonia 0

i feed freeze dried brine shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, nutrafin max flake food, and some purple seaweed.

two were from the same batch, the other way completely different, bigger, and from a different store.

the one thats still alive isnt doing well, hovering around the bottom in the corner. today i brought back the damsels, thinking maybe they are aggressive towards the clownfish when im not watching. also, my lfs said that he knows a captive bred dealer, and will get me some gold striped maroons. a little bit more money, but supposidly hardier, and nicer looking. would this be the way to go? are maroons tougher?

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
not having dealt in other than freshwater I don't know whats wrong but if you have a fish thats sick, I would not want to introduce anything else into the tank until its undercontrol and cleared up with my expierence. I also tend to deal only with one dealer as to help alliveate the problems with well you got frish from another shop I am not going to help you with them etc. The few fish shops here where I live tend to reward loyalty with better than average treatment, even if you are not dropping gobs of money ie, I have been able to return fish that died from whats possibly my own dumb fault such as having forgotten to treat the water with tlc or to check the ph as the ph where I live changes almost daily.

I am not trying to say what your doing is right or wrong or any of that but that I would wait until I knew why my fish was sick, and that he was well again.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Excellent advice, Johnny. I wouldn't add anything until you know the tank is healthy. If you lose the clown, watch the damsels and tang for several weeks before trying anything. By the way, false percs are about as tough as they come, so changing to a maroon probably won't help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store