Couple questions with bn pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FixxYurFace

AC Members
Feb 13, 2011
North Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Real Name
Ryan
I currently have 2 separate 10 gallon tanks set up with bristle nose plecos (one guaranteed mating pair of albinos in one tank & one newly acquainted male {brown bn} n female {albino bn} in the other tank). In one of the tanks I have about 20 or so maybe month old all albino babies and was curious as if it would be alright to combine all my bn plecos and rcs into one 29 gallon tank. Just afraid somehow they is gonna be some casualties. Also on a side note would 2 tank raised zebra danios be alright to add to that 29 gallon (maybe 6 months old each and were raised in tank with glass shrimp).

FixxYurFace

AC Members
Feb 13, 2011
North Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Real Name
Ryan
Thank you for response. Only the breeding pair so far are adult size, the other 2 in separate tank look to be maybe a year old max. If I had enough caves and holes would that help my chances of putting them all together? Just dont want males to fight if thats a possibility and was hoping the pairs would inspire eachother to mate more often if that sounds logical.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
This is what happened to my adult female bn when I added a male to her tank. :( And it's a 125 gal tank!! I'd be careful about putting them all together in a small tank. But my experience is pretty limited. I've had the female for several years, the male is new.
IMG_1438a.jpg

IMG_1438a.jpg

thesixis

AC Members
Feb 3, 2009
New Jersey
I have found out the hard way that ABN will eat RCS. I have 2 males and about 7 females in a 29( and several different size baby ABNs) with TONS of plants, wood, pipe, multi level caves etc. The only time I see them all is when I dump in alot of food. I must admit but I do over feed. Also in the tank is 10 corries and some baby apple snails. Corries breed every once in a while.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
FixxYurFace - I would not put your younger pair in the same tank as the breeding pair. Males will definitely fight over breeding with the females. At a minimum, the males will pester each other mercilessly when one's about to breed and the other one isn't. Even in a large heavily planted, 2 cave 75G tank. Also, the females select the male. Both males together with the females, chances are very good that the two females will breed with the alpha male and the other male will be ignored by them. While there's a slight change, depending only on the personality of the male fish, that you could keep a couple of breeding groups together in the same large tank where you can separate the caves out of view from each male, I don't see that happening in a small 29G.

Wren, while I know they can get pretty battered up and even killed when fighting, there's just no way a bristlenose with a sucker mouth could take a chunk out of another fish ..... your female definitely looks like a chunk has been bitten out of her.

Sixis - how can you be sure it's the plecos eating the shrimp and not the cories? I just don't see plecos with their sucker mouths eating shrimp. Maybe if the shrimp babies didn't get out of the way fast enough they could be sucked in to the pleco's mouth. With cories....they'd see any small moving living object as maybe live food and go for it, even their own young.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
Wren, while I know they can get pretty battered up and even killed when fighting, there's just no way a bristlenose with a sucker mouth could take a chunk out of another fish ..... your female definitely looks like a chunk has been bitten out of her.
Oh, it was definitely from the male bn. They were side by side kind of thrashing back and forth. And they had those retractable spines out. Ouch. All of the damage was done with the spines, not the mouth. It looked bad, but she did heal quickly. I was just surprised that there was that kind of aggression at all! I didn't realize they could/would kill each other. :( So far they seem to have worked things out...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store