It's been awhile

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
AC has always been a good place to rant or try and work out a problem, especially if you're not a facebook/myspace user. Haven't been on here much lately since everything within my world started getting shaky and to put it simply my entire world consists of my mother and the dogs and I guess you can throw in the cat too. Extended family, friends, my brother who can't manage to call back within a weeks time after my mother has a heart attack don't really concern me too much.

My mother had a heart attack last November, at the time it was the scariest thing in my life and I realized after wards how much I needed to stay in contact with my remaining extended family whom I've never been able to get along with. Not because I needed them emotionally but I needed people to drive me to and from the hospital, take me to the grocery store and so on. And when my mother had the heart attack I didn't have any of that "support" if you will, and I relied quite heavily on my mothers new best friend that she had just met a couple months ago to take me to see my mother and so on and so on. As you can guess I'm not driving yet. So anyways our new friend Dawn is one heck of a person, she's the type of person that you know will never let you down and she can get along with even my anti social personality. So even though I knew Dawn would always be there I always felt that I should be relying on family to get me through the tough times.

So fast forward through December when my dog gets hit by a car and into January. So I start to attempt to make amends with my extended family and when I say make amends I mean smile, pretend I'm happy to see them, hook them up with really expensive dog food that I get from my job. My intentions were never to be buddy buddy with my family just tolerate them so that when I need a lift to the hospital their there and not "sick" or "busy". Everything's going great and they think I'm warming up to them and I pretend that I don't dislike them and I've basically gotten my "family" relationship to where I needed it to be.

So fast forward to April 22, not even a year after my mothers last heart attack and I wake up to my mother sitting up in bed breathing heavily. I ask what's wrong and she tells me her chest and back hurt really bad. I knew something bad was happening and by something bad I mean a heart attack. So after a small argument of me telling her she needs to go the hospital and her not wanting to. I reminded her of all the things she promised me last November and she agreed to go to the hospital. So she calls Dawn to pick us up, you know the extremely reliable friend and we pile into her truck and we're off to the hospital.

About oh ten minutes into the drive we stop at a red light, there was a jeep in front of us and an SUV in the back of us. I look in the back seat at my mom whom is in a lot of distress. And then the next thing I know our 6000lb truck is in the air. Apparently some moron "didn't see" all the stopped cars and the red light and came crashing into the SUV which then crashed into us which then launched us off the back of the jeep(like a skate ramp) and into the air we went. And I must say that in movies when people get into car crashes and everything's in slow motion inside the car it's incredibly similar to the actual thing. All I remember while the truck was in the air was watching this shelf of dust that was on the dashboard floating in mid air because the truck was falling at a greater speed then the force of gravity which is why the layer of dust was floating. So after a few seconds of the memorizing shelf of floating dust the truck finally touched ground and that when I at least snapped back into reality. The next thing I remember is I screamed and Dawn let out a few choice words. We both looked back at my mom and she was fine but me and Dawn had whip lash. Dawn saw a couple doctors later on and we also discovered she had broken a tooth that she had apparently swallowed, the seat belt scratched her cornea and she had a pressure fracture in her spine. So anyways we get out of the truck, which is completely totaled and and aid car is called for my mom because remember this whole time she's having a heart attack in the back seat. So when the aid car got to the scene they loaded my mother up and wouldn't let me come along which I must say really pissed me off, I get that they have to do their job but that's my mother.

So there I am standing amongst all the destroyed and smoking vehicles trying to figure out how to get to the hospital to make sure my mother isn't dying. Dawn couldn't take me her vehicle was an expensive 6000lb piece of scrap metal in the middle of the street. Then it dawned on me, my family. That's why I made amends, that's why I gave them expensive free stuff. So I called my aunt and she came to pick me up. We get to the hospital and I get my security pass to go into the ER and I find my mother and she's fine. In a lot of pain but breathing. and I sat in the chair next to her bedside for five hours while the nurses were constantly feeding her nitro(blood thinner). I got word that Dawn was admitted into the ER also I left to find her, she was fine I guess you could say and and when I got back to my moms room there was some good news. She had kidney stones and pneumonia. May not sound good to you but it wasn't a heart attack. So Saturday rolls by, moms in a lot of pain but I know she'll be fine. My aunt and a few of my moms friends gave me rides to and from the hospital.

So Sunday night I found someone who could take me up to the hospital but no ride home so I called what should have been dependable concerned family and they were all too busy to pick me up , So I go anyways and when I get there before I can get into my moms room she tells me to stop she thinks has mersa, you know the scary infection that people run away from like it's the black plague. Of course I go in anyways. So I'm there for a few hours and a nurse comes in and she says further tests come in and she has staph infection not mersa. So we breath a sigh or relief. So I start texting Dawn just to vent thinking that I would have to spend the night at the hospital, which I wouldnt have minded if I didn't have five dogs at home that would eventually have to go to the bathroom. So Dawn whom is still in a lot of pain from the wreck borrowed a family members vehicle and picked me up at the hospital. She's such a trooper.

So Monday morning rolls around and I get a call from my mom. She can barely talk because she's so short of breath and very sick and she tells me the nurse made a mistake she does have mersa AND she got her T1 numbers back and she apparently had a heart Saturday night but couldn't tell from all the pain the kidney stones were dishing out. When I got off the phone with her I called Dawn, told her what was happening and then had an anxiety attack.

I try really hard not to have anxiety attacks. I keep my emotions to a minimum, avoid family gatherings at all costs(turns out family is what triggers most of my attacks not strangers)and I always try and have my mom with me when receiving potentially bad news because she's the only person that will keep me calm because anxiety pills don't work. Well my mom was the bad news and so I went into the worst anxiety attack I've ever had, didn't even have time to run for my pills. I collapsed and gasped for air for about ten minutes and then laid on the floor for an addition half hour while I steadied my breathing. And I have to say that the sweetest thing happened when my anxiety attack triggered, my very grouchy lab/dane mix came over to me and laid his head on my leg until it was over. After it was over I got the norm migraine which sucked because I had just gotten rid of the migraine from the car crash and I had shortness of breath for the remainder of the day along with sudden bouts of crying. Still made it down to the hospital to see my mom and with the pneumonia, kidney stones, heart attack and mersa she's cool as a cucumber as usual trying to comfort me as I randomly start crying every 15 to 30mins.

So today I went and saw her, Dawn with her fractured spine has been driving me back and forth this whole time and mom is looking so much better. She can breath now on her own and her white blood cell count is down which means the mersa and pneumonia is residing. No answers yet if she's received any heart damage. I thought I was going to lose her this time.

I talked to the doc about the mersa because I knew it was contagious and antibiotic resistant and so forth. She said everyone who came in contact with my mother this past week(hospital staff, paramedics, friends, family) have all been exposed to mersa but just because we have it in us doesn't mean we will die from it. We have it in our bodies kinda like when someone has HIV and it can be dormant for ten, twenty years or your whole life. Only when you have an active mersa infection in you is when your a health hazard to other people. That's the best description of mersa I can give from what the doc said. She said we'll always have mersa in us, as will every single hospital staff that's ever taken care of a patient that has mersa.

But all in all we're all heading down a road of recovery and we all survived a heck of a lot of bad luck. Thanks for letting me vent, it's been a stressful week.

Last edited:

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
WOW, Rat...that was one heck of a run of bad luck you had going there! Hope things start looking up for you, your Mom and Dawn (she sounds like a wonderful person)!!

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I am so sorry for everything that has happened to you, your mom, and Dawn :(. I really hope things get better quickly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store