Need rocks for Africans....where to find for cheap?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

al7601

AC Members
Apr 25, 2011
I'm starting to build my 75 gallon and will stock with mostly Malawis but am having some trouble finding stones. Does anyone know where I can find them for decent price? I'm in North New Jersey if there any locals.

thesixis

AC Members
Feb 3, 2009
New Jersey
I tried to pm you, but it did not work. Where about in NNJ?

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Do africans prefer smooth stones or jaggedy ones? For jaggedy try a construction site, particularly road work. For smooth ones try a landscaping shop. Wholesaler is better if you can find one but they may not sell to the public.

al7601

AC Members
Apr 25, 2011
Thanks, I called a garden center that has river rocks, 50 lbs for $3.99

And I'm in garfield nj.

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
Try can get some pieces of slate from a garden landscape place, random size and shapes of flat rock.

They are great for stacking up and making the caves that those cichlids like.

Ian

thesixis

AC Members
Feb 3, 2009
New Jersey
I use rock that I purchased from Reef Encounter in hackensack. It is like Texas holy rock except that it is more porus. When you lift it out of the water, the water pours out. This way you are not loosing volume in the tank. It is sold as base rock for reef tanks. The benefit to this rock is there is so much surface area in the rock that it is a great place for beneficial bacteria to grow.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I just drove back from a wedding in Stirling and there was beautiful cubic slate all along the side of the road going down 287 and 202.

stylEmon

BLAM sucka BLAM
Mar 11, 2011
Office parks usually have nice river rocks in the landscaping. If there are any wooded areas, I'm sure you can find some cool rocks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store