Who grows plants in pool filter sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
I'm redoing my 29g from soil capped w/3M color quartz to pool filter sand. Tank will have 5 Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus, a bn pleco, maybe some nerites. It's filtered by a Filstar xP2 and has T5HO lighting. I'd like to have a few plants in the tank. I dose excel and PPS daily but should I use root tabs? Love to see some pics of planted tanks with pfs as substrate. Thanks!

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Yes! You'll need root-tabs if you have root feeding plants and just sand.

Incidentally- my new 125 setup which is planted has a lower layer of organic potting soil (minerilized)- a mid layer of kitty litter and a top layer of PFS...

Inexpensive; should be fertile; get the look of sand!

(Actually half the top layer is PFS the other half is gravel)

I probably don't need root tabs but I use them anyway- I got a whole bunch cheap a while back- so I might as well.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, root tabs are what I use too, low & medium lighting, no CO2.

Emile, your discus tank looks fab! Could you tell me the details please? I'd like something similar in a 120g but not until after I move. Lighting? CO2? Plants?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Root tabs for root feeders are essential. Column feeders don't require them as greatly and in some cases can still benefit.

In my PFS tanks, (75 and 40 BR) I laid down a layer of clay (cat litter, unscented, the cheap kind does the best) mixed with laterite. I then topped with PFS to a depth of 3-4". I chose to go deeper as I don't want my plecos accidentally uprooting my plants by having too little base. I'll tos up some pictures later on.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
Thank you all for answering. I can't do anything but sand, I'm stocking with Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus, Tanganyika Cichlids, they dig pits (sometimes) to spawn. That is the one draw back of soil substrates, (I have 7 other tanks with mineralized soil capped w/3M) can't keep diggers.

Emilie, I also want to know more about your discus tank, it is beautiful. Lighting, co2, temp, how many and how often on the root tabs? But the most important question "will you come to my house and make my tank dat purdy?"...<vbg>

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Thank you all for answering. I can't do anything but sand, I'm stocking with Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus, Tanganyika Cichlids, they dig pits (sometimes) to spawn. That is the one draw back of soil substrates, (I have 7 other tanks with mineralized soil capped w/3M) can't keep diggers.

Emilie, I also want to know more about your discus tank, it is beautiful. Lighting, co2, temp, how many and how often on the root tabs? But the most important question "will you come to my house and make my tank dat purdy?"...<vbg>
It's a simple, low-tech set-up. No C02, just regular dosing with excel - max. 2 X week, along with Flourish Comprehensive Supplement - also 2 X week. Root tabs in my 75 gal: - 8 tabs, replaced every 4 to 6 months. Lighting: 2 X 39W T5HO - 8 hrs./day. 84 F temp for the discus - pH constant @ 6.6-6.8 - Kh & Gh in normally accepted ranges - I don't check this very often.
Plants are easy-care, doing well: 3 Sword varieties, Hygros, Ludwigia, Anubias, Jungle Vals, C/S Vals, Red & Tiger Lotus - nothing fancy. Occasional changes of plants - Pruned/trimmed every 2nd week.
Water changes - 2 X week: 50%-60%. Good filtration: 2 - AC 110's with filter floss & Purigen on regular basis. Cleaned/rinsed frequently - crystal water clarity on a consistent basis.
Substrate is white silica PFS - light - 1/2" in front, max. 2" or so at rear.
If you lived fairly close by, I'd be happy to help you get yours up the way you want it - it's all a matter of personal preference - glad you like mine, I do too.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
LIKE IT, I love it. Great plant placement. Had a big smile on my face when I saw that Lotus growing. I've never done plants in sand, this will be learning curve. I'm also setting up a 125, more footprint for plants (and rocks).

Wish we did live closer, but Virginia USA is not close enough. Since this is my thread, I'll have your pm if I have ?.

Thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store