Gray Tree frog Release?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brittanyd0203

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
Vienna, WV
So we had some pretty massive flooding around here a couple months ago and I was out in the field collecting some bluegill for research for class and I came across a small frog out in the middle of a large lake. I think she had been washed out of hibernation since where this "lake" was was normally a large meadow and it was about 20 degrees F outside. Needless to say I took the little one in and set up a small 2 gallon vivarium for her. After a bit of research, I found that she was a gray tree frog. Well, the weather has now improved greatly and I was considering releasing her back into the wild, but I'm concerned about whether or not she will revert back to her natural instincts and be able to survive. She has only been with me for two months or so and has been on a constant diet of live mealworms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
One winter we found a tree frog in our basement. My husband went to toss it outside, then realized that it was COLD out there. So I set up a little aquarium for it and fed it crickets all winter. In the spring we turned it free again. I can't imagine that 2 months of care will render it incapable of taking care of itself.

My husband joked that the little tree frog would be knocking on our door again come fall...

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
The frog will be just fine.

brittanyd0203

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
Vienna, WV
Great, I just wanted to make sure. I've never kept an amphibian before so I wasn't too sure. I've put a lot of time into this little one and just want what's best for her.

2rivers

AC Members
Oct 20, 2010
NH
Real Name
Brandon
They were too noisy @night for me to keep for longer than a week. In the summer treefrogs wont shut up. They adapt to eat all kinds of critters, froggy will be fine.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
I would be more worried about the transfer of parasites and diseases between where you originally collected the frog, and where you plan to release it. Chytrid is a huge concern for amphibian populations, and you don't want to risk spreading that around, even accidentally. I personally wouldn't do it.

brittanyd0203

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
Vienna, WV
The release spot is the same as the collection spot so there wouldn't be any new parasites. I had collected another frog from the exact same location who had been stranded as well but she passed away. Upon necropsy, I found both Opalina and Nyctotherus which was probably the cause of death. The specimens being collected were for my parasitology class and all specimens were infected with one or multiple parasites.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store