Angel laid eggs but is not a pair with other angel, confused

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ddlbrooks

AC Members
Mar 3, 2010
Flushing, MI
I had 4 angels in my 120 gal and moved the pair out due to so much fighting. The pair thought they owned the tank and the other two were constantly being chased and bullied. Now that the pair have been moved out (approx. week) the tank has been peaceful and calm. This morning I notice there are eggs on the intake column. The angel that laid the eggs is keeping all fish away even the other angel. I didn't think they would spawn unless they were a pair. It's so difficult when you can't tell what sex the angels are but now I know that there is one female. If the other is a male wouldn't they have paired up before? Obviously I'm not going to make any changes in the tank but I'm just so curious.
Thanks

slackline

AC Members
Jul 2, 2010
Michigan
Could have been a female spawning on her own or they may have formed a pair and one is in "uberdefensive" mode and not letting even the mate in. You'll know in a day or so because the eggs obviously won't be fertile.
Good luck,
Scott

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store