Split tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
Hey guys, Now that I am comfortable with water chemistry and have had my anemone for a while I would like to try something.

I have an empty 55g that I would like to divide and keep two pairs of clownfishes in, specifically my current pair of Occelaris, and perhaps a Pair of Clarkii in the other side. I would like to put a BTA in each side, I plan on having no other invertebrates besides some snails for the CUC. I was thinking some LR, sand and maybe a clay pot for them to spawn in.

I'm thinking that with this setup filtration, lighting, and water changes will be more convenient than trying to run two tanks, as well as water parameters being more stable.

So my questions are:

1: Will the space provided be enough for the Clownfish and Anemones I would like to keep?

2: What lighting system would you suggest for a 55g standard(18" deep if I remember correctly) Since the two anemones are the only photosynthetic organisms I plan on keeping I'd like to center the lighting choice around them, without totally going overboard.(and over budget) something under the $200 range would be nice. T5 or PC preferred but will go MH if absolutely necessary. Really would like to avoid DIY LED, just want something that I can toss on top of the tank, plug in, and grown my nems.

3.If I move most of my LR, and canister over for an insta-cycle, is the 6 month maturation period really necessary before placing my nems in the tank. Or would just monitoring the parameters until they are consistent and stable suffice?

I appreciate the help!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Physical space should be fine as long as you can maintain water quality. Adult Clowns rarely leave their host anemone except to spawn. You would definitely want the divider to be opaque. Your Ocellaris will most likely want nothing to do with a BTA. The Clarkii should host no problem. A T5 would be my choice, probably a 4 bulb fixture, but you could get away with a 2 bulb. A monitoring period should be sufficient.

AquatiCreations

Feb 25, 2008
I planned on painting the back and the divider of the tank blue,definitely don't want the clowns seeing eachother.

I know that the Occelaris are unlikely to take up host in the BTA, but not yet feeling confident in my skills I am not going to attempt a Ritteri, or Carpet. I have seen some Occelaris hosting in BTA so It leads me to believe that it is not Impossible, but time will tell.

What bulb combos would you use on 2 and 4 bulb T5 fixtures? Do actinics actually create a usable amount of PAR, or are they for aesthetic purposes only?

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
A BTA may not be the first choice for occellaris, but it does work for several people here in our local club. I'm not sure if color is a factor, but most of the occellaris I know of around here hosting in a BTA are in a RBTA.

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
I think this will look very pretty :) And i demand pictures once you can produce any :)

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I find Occellaris more likely to host in various corals such as Euphyllias and even Sarcophytons when given a choice between the coral and a BTA. Also remember that unless you know how many fin rays are on that front dorsal you really don't know if it's an Occellaris or a Percula, and Perculas will normally host in BTAs.

AquatiCreations

Feb 25, 2008
I see, well the anemone that I have at the moment is H.Crispa. Would you think that the chances of a symbiosis would be greater with that species over the BTA?
I really didn't want to disturb it, as it's temperamental to change lol, but if it seems that It'd be a better candidate I can arrange for it to be in the split tank. Though only for the False/Percula's side. It took a good while to nurse that one back from bleach white, I really would disdain recouping another one. Especially when there are always some beautiful quadcolors available. It always puzzles me why no-one can get a Sebae in that's actually healthy.

I see some pretty good T5 setups, If I go 2 bulb would I want both Daylight? 4 bulb 2 DL/Actinic?

Thanks again for the help!

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
If you went two bulb, id do one actinic and one full spectrum or whatever it is. It's not as blue as you think. I like it ^_^

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Whatever you do don't get this guy

He eats clowns, snails, crabs, and love sea urchins..
Other than the fact he's a $300 nem

as far a clowns go, it's anyones guess what they like. I had a gold stripe maroon that hated everything, gonos, spawns, euphillias, carpets, and other nems. he like his plastic carpet nem.. that was until i put a rose in the tank and he claimed it in like 30seconds.. 2 years of no hosting.. then bam..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store