2 Angelfish getting sick...what should i do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquanote

AC Members
Apr 27, 2011
Shah Alam, Malaysia
It's horrible :( I just got them from the shop yesterday and everything was fine and good with them until i woke up today and found one of them with suspect of fin rot disease. Having a community tank with 5 Kissing Gourami's and 3 other Swordtails (1 male & 2 females) I had to remove the 2 angels into my hospital tank. Now the first angelfish that got sick are hanging at the surface gasping for air and the other has developed the same symptoms (small signs but still very active). I have placed meds for fin rot and some salts and did water change, I started to notice a small round whitish spots started to appear on the body of the first one. I don't know what to do now... I don't know if I should run to petstore tomorrow to get somekind of antibiotic for them for the spots or just leave them for few more days to recover. I don't really like the idea of placing too many medication into the water.... (I did went back to the petstore and saw one angelfish among the rest in their tank having a small symptom of the same disease too)

I have placed the same medications into the main tank with all my other fishes and did a water change as well. Now being a newbie, I think I might have killed bacterias (healthy) that had accumulated before with a disease disinfectant so all my fishes are basically swimming behind/bottom the tank where there are lots of plants. I wonder if everything will be ok with them. I'm worried. Any help would be great.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
What size is your tank?

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I would recommend putting an air stone with an air pump into your hospital tank. Your fish may be gasping at top of tank due to lack of oxygen. Some meds limit the amount of oxygen that is in the water. That is one of the first things I do when I notice my fish may be sick. Give them better oxygenated water. I also recommend doing daily water changes for your sick fish.
What meds did you give for fin rot? Generally speaking meds are very hard on fish. Always decide on a course of action and then finish that before going to another.
Some meds will knock out your beneficial bacteria. What did you treat with? Again meds are hard on fish and they may just be hiding for that reason.
Check your parameters, do frequent water changes, drop an air stone in your hospital tank (and cudos for having one!), tell us what exactly you treated with and if possible provide some pics.

Aquanote

AC Members
Apr 27, 2011
Shah Alam, Malaysia
I have treated both tank with Interpet 8 Anti Fungus & Finrot, JBL Ektol fluid (general disinfectant against fish diseases) (It did said that I should add JBL Denitrol to reintroduce the bacteria needed for cleaning but it was on the pamplet inside and not printed on the box), a tablespoonful of Bettas Conditioning Salt, done a 60% water change and with Mydilab Tension gon (removes chlorine & chloramine, neutralizes ammonia and heavy metal, anti stress)

I treated both tank with the same thing.

I will try and get some pictures up in a minute.

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
tank upgrade in size

install heater and raise temp

do lots of water changes

oh yeah.... pray!

Aquanote

AC Members
Apr 27, 2011
Shah Alam, Malaysia
I don't think I need heater for I live in tropical country. It's hot and rainy all the time... If I do lots of water changes like everyday, won't that will put lots of stress on my fishes? I just bought this tank, I am planning to get another one of the same size in the next few months.

I am praying... well funny thing is that the badly sick angelfish actually is showing a bit of progress. She is looking a bit better now but she does look swollen but I think she is fighting. I just hope that she is at least feeling much better and making good progress bit by bit..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store