New (to me) metaframe!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
I picked up a 5g metaframe tank at my local resale shop yesterday. It was only $5, which made me pretty excited

I'd like it to be a shrimp only, densely planted tank. I've seen some other small tanks that I've really loved in the past. What I'd like to do with this one is o have a branchy piece of DW in the back corner (kind of simulating a tree) with moss on the branches. I'd also like to create different height of substrate using rocks. My filtration will be an AC HOB and I'm not sure if I'll have CO2 yet. This tank will be on my desk, so space is kind of an issue. So, I have a couple questions...

1. What would be the best type of moss to attach to the DW that wouldn't spread all over my tank like java?

2. I'd really like to have a carpet of some sort and love the look of HC or HM (I can't remember which is which), but probably don't have the patience for a dry start. I there another type of low grower that would accomplish the same thing?

3. I think I'd like to use a desk lamp as the lighting for this. Any suggestions?

4. What would be the best susbstrate?

5. Any thoughts on shrimp? I've had cherries and amanos in the past, but never anything else.

Sorry for all of the questions. I have planted tanks now that I just kind of threw together. I'd like to plan this one out before I start so that it looks totally awesome!!!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Awesome! I love metaframes but don't have any. Hm is much easier than HC IME. My HM stayed in a very cute low mound without clipping, no CO2 & med light until my BN plec accidentally uprooted it. Another plant for low carpet-ish look is mariselia quadrifolia (sp?) dwarf 4 leaf clover. A PITA to plant, I hope there's still some in my shrimp tank. Or dwarf hairgrass, almost a mid-groung plant in a small tank.

I love crs but have only tried black bees or maybe they were black crystals. They were a tenth the price of crs but my water is not a good match for them I think, vacation tragedy...

We will need pics once you decide...please

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
The Hampton Bay desk lamp from Home Depot is often recommended for small tanks. It has a 27 watt, 6000K fluorescent bulb. Walmart carries a desk lamp with the same bulb.

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store