Should I put substrate in my fry tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jessicaftw

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Oregon
Real Name
Jessica
I have three, three-day old paleatus fry. I set up an old ten gallon to put them in instead of the sandwich container. I have read conflicting info about adding substrate to fry/QT tanks. I have white gravel slightly larger than sand chunks. What is your experience with it? I've heard they are less stressed with a bottom but I've heard it's a pain to clean. Thank!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
due to frequent feeding that fry require, i would go with a bare bottom tank. leftover food can be hidden in the substrate too easy, making for water parameters that are out of whack. and with fry, using a gravel vac isn't advisable, since they can too easily be sucked up. as time consuming as it may be, a piece of airline tubing would be your best option for siphoning out old water/mulm.

Jessicaftw

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Oregon
Real Name
Jessica
Thanks for the swift reply, I will go ahead and leave out the substrate then. Currently, it is cycling with a sponge and a nylon sock of gravel from another tank, the nitrates were just about to 5 PPM, so hopefully it will be good enough to transfer them into tomorrow!

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I def use bare bottom for my fry tanks. Makes it easier to suck up excess food and clean it as needed. Also makes it easier not to suck up the fry for me since I can see them better with no gravel for them to hide in. Congrats on the fry. :)

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I guess I'm the exception. I keep a thin layer of gravel in my fry tanks, but only on half of the bottom. The other half is clear of gravel. Works fine and doesn't stress the fry out since they have spots to hide between the gravel. I'm careful with the python, just hovering over the gravel side of the tank and using slow water pressure, watching the intake tube the whole time. If you're using barebottom for cory fry, be sure to keep wiping the bottom down of biofilm. Because they are bottom dwellers, a dirty film on the bottom of the tank can be detrimental to the cories.

Jessicaftw

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Oregon
Real Name
Jessica
I guess I'm the exception. I keep a thin layer of gravel in my fry tanks, but only on half of the bottom. The other half is clear of gravel.
This is what my husband said.

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully I can get some pics of them soon, they are so tiny and cute!

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I put sand in my cory fry tank. I've had higiher survival rates since trying it, so I stick with it. As far as feeding goes, just stick with mostly live foods and you don't have to worry about fouling the water near as quick.

I think having a substrate down helps with cories because it keeps from having a thick layer of biofilm building up and they are always sitting on the bottom of the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store