looking for recommendations for dwarf cichlids or any cichlids for 29gl tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

redbullbill

AC Members
Mar 23, 2011
berks, pa
I have a 29 gallon community tank that is planted with a cave and drift wood.
I am looking for recommendations on what would be good for it the tank stats and stocking list follows
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
ph 6-6.2
The water is very soft.
There is 5 skirt tetra
2 albino,1 panda,2 peppered cory's
4 sword tails
1 dwarf gourami

Would adding dwarf cichlids overstock the tank or would they harm or be harmed by the other fish already in the tank.

Thanks for any input as i just started reading up on cichlids!!!

e5anderm

Registered Member
Apr 16, 2011
Wisconsin
You are close or possibly over on the 1 inch per gallon rule (depending on what sources you use for the adult sizes of your fish) but a small schooling fish and several bottom dwellers make up 10 of your 15 total fish so there should be enough territory for another fish or two just as long as your tank itself can handle the bioload (if its decently planted and has been established for a while you should be fine)

A pair of Kribs would work well, they would likely take over the cave and make it theirs, a pair of Rams would work well (either German Blue Rams or Bolivian Rams) or maybe some Apisto or Keyhole cichlids and maybe convicts (though I think you would be better off with smaller cichlids). Most of these will do fine in low pH and soft water, though they prefer warmer waters (not sure what your tank is at) and if you want to Kribs, Rams and Convicts are easy to breed though the parents may get a bit testy protecting their fry.

redbullbill

AC Members
Mar 23, 2011
berks, pa
Thanks for the reply.
the tank has around ten plants or so and has been setup over a year.I may be taking the swords out if i upgrade my guppy tank to a 20gl.Thats why i was thinking of a small pair of cichlids cause once the swords are out there isn't much left that is colorfull.The temp is 76 would that be warm enough?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
You are close or possibly over on the 1 inch per gallon rule (depending on what sources you use for the adult sizes of your fish) but a small schooling fish and several bottom dwellers make up 10 of your 15 total fish so there should be enough territory for another fish or two just as long as your tank itself can handle the bioload (if its decently planted and has been established for a while you should be fine)

A pair of Kribs would work well, they would likely take over the cave and make it theirs, a pair of Rams would work well (either German Blue Rams or Bolivian Rams) or maybe some Apisto or Keyhole cichlids and maybe convicts (though I think you would be better off with smaller cichlids). Most of these will do fine in low pH and soft water, though they prefer warmer waters (not sure what your tank is at) and if you want to Kribs, Rams and Convicts are easy to breed though the parents may get a bit testy protecting their fry.
don't ever use the 1" per gallon rule. It's not going to work....

I would say either bolivians or apistos. Convicts are nasty little guys IME, keyholes can be sometimes, and I would be worried about water quality for rams.

redbullbill

AC Members
Mar 23, 2011
berks, pa
So if i took the swords out and added a pair of cichlids would that be an ok stock?The water quality for the stock i have now is good.I do a 20% water change once a week.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
So if i took the swords out and added a pair of cichlids would that be an ok stock?The water quality for the stock i have now is good.I do a 20% water change once a week.
thats a lot better. With the swords out a pair of keyholes, apistos or rams works great!

redbullbill

AC Members
Mar 23, 2011
berks, pa
Thanks for the help! I like the bolivians, i gotta look the keyholes up see what they look like, but what are apistos.Is that there name or is there another name they go buy?

e5anderm

Registered Member
Apr 16, 2011
Wisconsin
don't ever use the 1" per gallon rule. It's not going to work....

I would say either bolivians or apistos. Convicts are nasty little guys IME, keyholes can be sometimes, and I would be worried about water quality for rams.
Oh, sorry if it seemed like I was following the rule, it really should only be used as a basic starting point but you have to look more at your fish and their needs (and personalities) but after that the rule doesn't matter that much if you know what you are doing.

You have more than enough plants but your 76 degrees water temperature is a little low for most cichlids, I would recommend bringing it up to at least 78-79 if not higher (depending on which cichlids you get)

Moving the swords might be a good idea, A pair of Bolivians and a 2-3 apistos (apistogramma) would look really nice.

redbullbill

AC Members
Mar 23, 2011
berks, pa
Wow they are some great looking fish.
Thanks for the link. I never realized how pricey they could be.Whenever you see cichlids at petsmart and stuff they are usually less then $10.I went on the TPP website and checked there too.

Thanks for all the input.This all helps make a more informed desicion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store