Toxic liner materials?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SickBum

AC Members
Mar 6, 2011
Someone gave me an aboveground pool a while back that I didn't really want much. I was thinking to make a pond from it instead but I was reading that pool liners can be toxic to fish. Any idea what specific materials cause problems? If I have these materials is there any way to ameriolate the problem, say by letting it leech out a few months or adding peat moss or similar material to suck up the toxins? I'm sure letting it leech out would work but if it would take years to do it then it's not worth it. I'd really like to get some use out of this stupid thing, though, it's been sitting in my yard for 2 years now.

roscoe70

AC Members
Apr 5, 2009
East Texas
Don't know for sure, but many years ago I used an old above ground liner and had no problems. Might scrub it for any dried chlorine/pool chemicals though. Good luck.

SickBum

AC Members
Mar 6, 2011
Don't know for sure, but many years ago I used an old above ground liner and had no problems. Might scrub it for any dried chlorine/pool chemicals though. Good luck.
Thanks, and yeah from what I gather I think it's hit and miss. I don't even know what the dang thing is made of, either, but seemingly that is not the main issue. I have been looking around and looks like it's mainly things they might spray like antimildew agent. So I think I will let rinse it well, let it soak a week, dump water, soak a month to age out the chloramine, then add plants. If they look ok I will add in a goldfish that's particularly tough as a canary and watch him carefully. If he looks bad after a few hours/days/weeks I will take him out, dump the water again and try again. If he looks good I will slowly add in other fish, and do occasional partials just to be sure.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
The problem is some pool liners are impregnated with algaecide or fungicide.

I've thought about using a small kids pool as a summer breeding tank. But...
Scrooge mode on.
Be aware that your municipal authorities and/or insurance agent may view this "pond" as a swimming pool. In some areas that would require fencing your yard. Small children in the neighbor hood may visit too.
Scrooge mode off.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
you'll want to clean off whatever's on there, but i really doubt that you'd have a problem.

there are rumors that some EPDM (black rubber) and maybe some PVC single-ply roof sheets are impregnated with anti-algae materials; never heard of play pools being so treated, although it would actually make more sense for them. i've never noticed a swimming pool with a biocide warning on it, and those pools would have to have an EPA registration as "treated materials." I doubt a vinyl pool maker would want to hassle with that

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
as said earlier, check your local building department for regulations applicable to ponds. in many places the the rule triggers on the depth below ground level -- 18" where i live -- which is why all those above-ground swimming pools aren't regulated

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
There aren't rumors of chemicals in the pool liners.
It's a featured quality - advertised by the pool liner companies.

Polar Pools Vinyl Liners are made from the finest vinyl available, specifically treated with a special fungicide to inhibit bacteria growth. Virtually
http://www.polarpools.com/Financing.htm

Each liner is treated with special fungicides and UV-inhibitors to keep your pool looking fabulous.
http://sterling.surfthepool.com/vinyl-liners/

Added during the manufacturing of our vinyl material, BIO-PRUF® is a fungicide that inhibits the growth of microorganisms like mold and bacteria
http://www.aaronpoolsandspas.com/liners.htm

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
i certainly stand corrected. i've never seem a pool liner before -- they must be more common elsewhere.

all of these seem to be vinyl products, which you really don't want to be using anyway -- even with great UV blockers, vinyl just doesn't last long in sunlight

i went on those 3 sites and did not see an EPA "treated Article" notice or similar postings which i believe are required by law. mu recollection is that you have to identify the real chemical being used, and not some funky trade name, but again i do my best not to keep up with that. i'm not going to invest the time trying to see if these articles (or those biocide names) are in fact registered under FIFRA -- i THINK that treated articles need to be noticed on the product but don't have to be registered. i do wonder if these folks have had someone review their products and documents for comp0liance

SickBum

AC Members
Mar 6, 2011
Well they all come from china. Who knows what is in/on those things? It's doubtful the importer does much to test them if nothing catastrophic occurs. But this is an aboveground pool, kind of between a play pool and a pool liner, of unknown origin and materials (but not vinyl). I will just be careful with it I guess.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
every time i psych up to start my pond, i get distracted by the above-ground pool option -- e.g. $225 (a lot less than i think i would end up spending on the pond) for a 12' diameter x 4' deep pool (bigger than my planned pond), and ~instant setup (well, compared to concrete) with a LOT less work.

really hard to turn it down

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store