Am I a girl??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I've always assume that this bn was a female. But now that I've been looking at other pictures... I'm not so sure... She's several years old now. What do you think??

IMG_1496a.jpg

IMG_1509a.jpg

IMG_1503a.jpg

IMG_1496a.jpg IMG_1509a.jpg IMG_1503a.jpg

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I think that's a boy...maybe... When females have spikes they are usually just small bumps around the lip. I dunno..I mean the spikes are small...at first I thought you meant the obvious male in the pics, but that one looks like it def could be male. hmmm Put a cave in and see if you get babies ;) .

Last edited:

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
If you've had them both in the same tank for several years w/out any spawning they're both males.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
The one that's an obvious male is new. I thought the old one was a female. But since the male has been in there (a few weeks), it seems like the tiny bristles on the old one are more prominent. Hmm...

Why would a male have such tiny bristles??

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Am I a girl??
I had that same question once but the doctor assured me I was a boy.

I wonder if fish ever look at us and wonder if we're male or female... He has bristles on his chin he must be a boy... but lookat those moobs... he must be a girl.

Last edited:

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I had that same question once but the doctor assured me I was a boy.

I wonder if fish ever look at us and wonder if we're male or female... He has bristles on his chin he must be a boy... but lookat those moobs... he must be a girl.
Ahaha ....it's time for androgyny....To the OP I think you should name the fish Pat, if you remember that SNL skit

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Do they fight much? They seem near each other in most pics, seems like 2 males would try to fight or stake out a territory far from each other. I dunno

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I think I remember the OP posting about them fighting really violently when she first added the obvious male. That kind of adds to the might be male thing. I know male and female fight a little when first establishing dominance, but that fight seemed a bit worse than a normal male/female spat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store