Peacock Eel :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TylerOSU

AC Members
May 2, 2011
Alright guys, I have a 75 gallon tank with sand, a few plants, and 2 little caves for my peacock eel to hide in. He is the first and only fish in the tank. I got him about 3 days ago. The only problem with him I am having is that he isnt eating. First I tried frozen bloodworms and he wouldnt pay them any attention, now today I went back to the store and asked what they were feeding him before and they gave me frozen brine shrimp. I am going to try and feed them to him later but if that dosent work does anyone know what else I can do??

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
It may take a few days to settle in. Have you tried feeding after the lights are off? If all else fails guppy or endler's fry would likely be eaten.

TylerOSU

AC Members
May 2, 2011
Ok thanks. And yea, I have tried 2 different kinds of food too. Im def going to buy some guppies tomorrow or the next day.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I never had much luck with peacock eels, though I did try them way back in my early aquarium years. I had a tiretrack until it outgrew a 29, it was much easier to get along with in general. More recently (several years ago now) I had a pair of Tanganykian plagiostoma spiney eels in a 29. They did great on frozen bloodworms and occaisonally brine shrimp. Spawned a number of times, but the male always ate the eggs. Lost them when the power was out too long, they were my favorite fish to date.
You could easily house one or even several Tanganykian elipsifers in a 75. Those can usually be trained to eat NLS pellets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store