Mixed shrimp species?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

plantedtank12

Sign the Petition!!
May 6, 2011
York SC
Real Name
Nathan
All right so I have several 20 longs with red cherries as the only inhabitants. Unfortunately I am constantly overwhelmed by the beautiful colors of other shrimp species. If I were to mix some other species of shrimp into the same tank would they crossbreed?

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
You can keep 'em with any Caridina species.

Tigers, Bees, Ninja, Babaulti, Crystal Reds/Blacks, Malawa, Amano, pinochio, Propinqua they're all safe with your cherries (but not all of them safe with each other).

Besides Caridina- there are some Palaemonetes species- such as the humble American ghost shrimp (paludosa) that would be safe... and a few of the smaller Macrobrachium species like the sand shrimp would work (forget species name- but also called pearl shrimp at times... not blue pearl- those are neocaridina and not safe with cherries).

You can also keep dwarf crays with them. I keep dwarf crays (camberellus shufeltii) with Cherries, Malawa and ghosts (at one time Babaulti too)... If I ever see Sand Shrimp on sale at a decent price I'll be getting some of them too.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Macrobrachium Kulsiense is the macro species I was thinking of above... pretty rare though.

You can also try filtering shrimp like bamboo shrimp or vampire shrimp.

plantedtank12

Sign the Petition!!
May 6, 2011
York SC
Real Name
Nathan
Thanks a lot I really like the tiger, ninja, and bee shrimps.

plantedtank12

Sign the Petition!!
May 6, 2011
York SC
Real Name
Nathan
Oh I noticed you mentiontioned caridina and neocaridina, are they different genus?

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
Yes, Caridina, Neocaridina, and Macrobrachium = genus. Most scientific names use the genus and species name, when they are known. If the species is not known, then an abbreviation of 'species' is used (such as Neocaridina sp.).

plantedtank12

Sign the Petition!!
May 6, 2011
York SC
Real Name
Nathan
I knew they were all genus but are caridina and neocaridina different? I ask because fish like neolamprologus multifasciatus are sometimes referred to as lamprologus multifasciatus.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
I knew they were all genus but are caridina and neocaridina different? I ask because fish like neolamprologus multifasciatus are sometimes referred to as lamprologus multifasciatus.
Yes, Neocaridina and Caridina are different genus. Caridina is a diverse genus- not all will breed in fresh water- but most neos are pretty similar in size/shape/needs other than colour.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store