Help! Sick Pleco!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
My 1 year old, 6" Pleco has not pooped in over a week. He is starting to get a bit fat as well and also has some sort of slime on him. He is moping too. Is there anything I can do?

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
First off what are your water parameters? I'd recommend giving him a deshelled pea for the bloating but it could be a symptom of a bigger issue seeing as he is slimy and moping.

Water parameters would be very helpful..

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
Water parameters are all perfect - checked weekly. The only one of note is Nitrates which usually hover between 20-40ppm due to tap water being high to begin with. 30%+ changes per week. All fish in the tank - 135 gallon - are very healthy. We rarely lose fish. Last one was months ago and I think it was old age. Also have a UV filter on the tank and nitrate absorbing media in the FX5 filter.

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
We put him in a bucket of epsom salts for 10 minutes and today he started pooping! The starting end of it was very large - twice the diameter it normally is. This is about the first 1/2" or so. Then it is normal size. But the color is not normal, it is almost clear. Very odd. But he is continuing to evacuate and also swimming around a bit more and is hanging on the wall again. Hopefully he is going to be ok!

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
If you keep him on a regular diet of peas every so often (I feed mine peas once a week), you may avoid this problem in the future. Glad to hear he seems to be on the road to recovery !! Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store