Suggestions need for neglected, dehydrated chameleon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
Not sure how many out there have chameleons, but I'm open to any suggestions.

On Tuesday, we rescued a 3 year old veiled chameleon from an absolutely pitiful situation. How he is still alive is beyond me. He was being kept in a pitiful aquarium without sufficient heat, humidity, or lighting, and smelly moldy bark chip susbtrate. He was given only a dozen crickets per week and supposedly misted once a day. I can't go into any more details without wanting to push the previous owner in front of a speeding bus.

He is incredibly dehydrated and emaciated. His skin is dull, dry, and wrinkly. His eyes are slightly sunken in, although his casque is still relatively full. He is very weak, and cannot cling to any branches or really move around at all. He seems too weak to even extend his tongue out to eat. When we got him, his colors were dark and ugly, although he has brightened up considerably in the two days we've had him. So, while I'm no chameleon expert, I know that even with my limited knowledge, I can provide him much better care than what his previous moron of an owner was doing.

Here's what I have so far:

Habitat: He is in an aquarium (maybe 45 gal?) with a wire mesh lid. He is too weak to move so I'm not concerned about size at this point. I have an Exo-Terra mesh enclosure, but with him being so dehydrated I worried about keeping the humidity up in it. There are branches and plants in the aquarium, although he cannot climb so I might take them out. I'd hate for him to get a burst of energy, attempt to climb, and then fall.

Lighting: ReptiSun 5.0 UVB, plus night heat and basking lights

Temperature: This is an issue for me. I can't do a typical set up with a cooler ambient temp and a warmer basking spot, as he is too weak to move and thus can't thermoregulate like a healthy chameleon. Right now I've tried to settle with a "happy medium" temp of 84-85 (night about 75 degrees), but I'm not sure if that's too cold or hot.

Feeding: I've offered crickets, mealworms, and superworms, but so far all he's eaten is a single mealworm. Waxworms are ordered and should arrive tomorrow. He showed interest in a second mealworm, but it's as if his tongue is "broken"... He cracks his mouth open, pushes his tongue up to the tip, but can't "shoot" it out like he should. Actually, he only ate the one mealworm because I held it close enough that he could just bend down and push his tongue maybe 1/4" out of his mouth and stick it to the mealworm. I don't know if he's simply too weak to eat normally, or if something else is wrong with his tongue. The inside of his mouth appears to look normal, although I haven't wanted to stress him out by opening his mouth further. Thankfully he doesn't appear to be afraid to eat out of my hand. I will continue to try feeding (dusting with calcium of course).

Other notes: Humidity stays 75% or above. We're misting his enclosure as often as we can to keep the humidity up. He can turn his head to turn drink the drips that fall down the side of the glass, which seems promising to me. So, a couple times a day we are spraying the glass with a 50/50 Pedialyte/water mixture, which he also drinks. Should we be using the Pedialyte more often? I didn't want to overdo it.

...So, if you're still with me, what suggestions do you have? I'm greatly encouraged by the fact that he will drink, and that his color is better now. I know it will be a long road, but I'm hopeful that with enough TLC he will recover.

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
It sounds like you're doing everything that needs doing. Sadly I don't know enough to determine the temperature question, which is the only place I think there's any room for debate you might be doing something "wrong", but it sounds right to me.

Glad he has found a better home. How did you find out about him?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
It sounds like you're doing a really nice thing by rescuing this guy but I'm afraid it might be too late. This species eats about 12 crickets a DAY so I imagine it's been slowy becoming weaker and weaker as the months went on. Right now the most important thing is getting the cham hydrated. Pedialyte or Gatorade mixed with water works great for hydrating reptiles. Another thing you can do is soak it. Can the chameleon stand up at all? If so I would place it in a rubbermaid tub with about an inch of warm water in it. Hopefully it will drink and absorb some of the water through it's skin.

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
Glad he has found a better home. How did you find out about him?
Craigslist. The guy wanted to get rid of him because he "didn't have enough time for him". It's a long story, but if you could have heard him explaining how he cared for him, you would have been appalled.

It sounds like you're doing a really nice thing by rescuing this guy but I'm afraid it might be too late. This species eats about 12 crickets a DAY so I imagine it's been slowy becoming weaker and weaker as the months went on. Right now the most important thing is getting the cham hydrated. Pedialyte or Gatorade mixed with water works great for hydrating reptiles. Another thing you can do is soak it. Can the chameleon stand up at all? If so I would place it in a rubbermaid tub with about an inch of warm water in it. Hopefully it will drink and absorb some of the water through it's skin.
Yeah, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much. The guy had had him for about 6 months, so he's been neglected for a long time. At this point my biggest concern is renal failure, which I understand to be fairly common to chams suffering from prolonged dehydration. He doesn't stand up very well, and is very wobbly, so I worry about drowning if I soak him. I have been reading about showering them, so I might try that. I worry about stressing him out to much, but I guess at this point it probably isn't any more stress than he's already had. I think I'll also start using the Pedialyte/water mist all the time now.

At the very least, he won't die in the crappy, uncaring place he had been in. :/

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
I don't know the first thing about herps/reptiles, Rachel, so I can't really help, but I'll be keeping a good thought for the little guy. The fact that he's still alive after all he's been through says a lot about his will to live. Good luck!

ConnerFish

AC Members
Sep 27, 2005
California
How is the little guy doing? I really hope he makes it. Some people make me sick. I first got into fish when me and my friends were at someone's house and say they had a pink (yes pink) betta in a tiny dirt bottle and used him for fighting. We rescued him and named him Fabio and he was my first fish! Good luck with your rescue.

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
Thanks for your encouragement, everyone!

Today he has eaten 4 calcium-dusted waxworms, yay! We've also found that he will drink the Pedialyte/water straight from the bottle... If you put it up to his mouth and drip a few drops, he'll crack his mouth open and allow you to squirt a few drops in. I don't want to choke him, so I only do a few drops at a time, but he will swallow them and crack his mouth open for more. It's encouraging.

I've noticed his throat seems a little puffy/swollen. Not sure if this is part of the reason he's having trouble with his tongue or not, but at this point I'm not sure there's anything else I could do that I'm not already doing...

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
Sad to say this past Sunday he passed away. He'd been drinking lots of Pedialyte/water, and had eaten more waxworms. Thursday evening we noticed he was trying (unsuccessfully) to relieve himself. We began increasing his showers along with warm baths in an attempt to relieve his constipation or impaction. Several times a day he would lift his tail and strain, with no relief. Finally, on Sunday during a shower, poop!! We thought for sure that he'd really start making progress now that his bowels were in working order. But immediately afterward, he simply laid on his side and died. We're not sure if the strain or stress of impaction was simply too much, or if perhaps his internal injuries were more severe than we'd thought. If he was suffering from severe internal damage, maybe it was for the best. Still, we're saddened and disappointed. Poor little guy...

At the very least, he died with people who cared.

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
So sorry to hear this. You did a great thing regardless. At least his last days were in a better setting with people who cared about him. Thank you for trying.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

at least he got to die with somebody who cared about him. im amazed that you can take that much time out of your life to care for a poor guy like that. You didnt even need to, but you did. thats awesome. you should get another one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store