'nano reef' equipment questions...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

theFinn

AC Members
I've had a freshwater aquarium for some time and really enjoyed it. However, I've always wanted to saltwater tank they're just so much more colorful and eye catching.

Space in my house is at a major premium so I'm want to go with a rather small nano-reef setup. Most likely a 5 to 7 gallon bow-front tank. However, I'm a little confused by everything. I've read some articles on various sites but they all offer different advice so I'm not really sure what I need to get started. The freshwater forums here really helped me out I'm hoping the saltwater side will too :)

Obviously I need a tank, heater, live sand, live rock, and salt mixture.

Do I need a filter? From what I've read a filter isn't needed, the live rock will do the nitrification, am I correct in this assumption? The tank is going to be in my bedroom so the quieter the better, if I can do without a filter that'd be great.

Powerhead. I need this for circulation correct? what's the best brand and how powerful one will I need for a little 7 gallon?

Lastly, lighting. Obviously the stock lighting that comes with a 7 gallon bow-front kit is going to be meant for freshwater and fish and not really suited for corals and such. What am I going to need for lighting and what's the best brand?

Is there anything I'm missing? I read all this stuff about protein skimmers, refugiums, etc etc and get all confuzzled...

Alright. Once I've got equipment sorted I put in the live rock and sand, fill it with salt water at the right specific gravity and let it run right? The live rock and sand will get the cycle going and sort itself out?

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store