Considering angel fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eraagne

AC Members
Aug 9, 2010
I have a 29 gallon tank with four female bettas. I wanted to add some sort of cichlid and was considering growing out a few juvie angelfish. Maybe get a pair and then rehome the bettas or the angels. I wanted opinions on this plan.

eraagne

AC Members
Aug 9, 2010
Well I have the tank and the space I just need to set it up. I suppose I could rehome the bettas right away. *shrugs*

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
You will run out of room quickly in a 29...baby angels grow fast!! You will run out of room before they pair off.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Beg to differ. It takes some judicious buying (waves to ponderingky) but you can ask a breeder for their smallest stock, or ones they would otherwise have culled. I have kept as many as 14 small angels in a 29, winnowing down to 6, then 4, now 2. Who just laid their 4th batch of eggs, and are showing signs that some of these might finally not fall to fungification or parental/tankmate appetite. So it can be done. In a 29. :)

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I didn't say it couldn't be done...just that the OP would run out of room. OP didn't say baby or tiny, but juvie. Juvies grow quickly if your feeding them right and changing their water. But you illustrated my point..."winnowing down to 6, then 4, now 2."

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
Hey Xan - good to hear, hope the "dwarf angels" finally spawn for you!

I agree that a 29 is a great breeder tank but you wouldn't want to have more than a couple of angels in it (3 if you are good on water changes) and not much else. I would look for a different type of cichlid - maybe some GBR or Bolivian rams.

Just a thought,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store