wanted reptile or amphibian??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dre205

AC Members
Feb 6, 2010
Georgia
so i got the new tetrafauna viquarium for my 55 gallon tank in my room. i plan to have plants added as well as feeder fish for the water section. there are about 15 to 20 gallons of water in the tank. what would look great in the tank? i was thinking african dwarf frogs for the water, fire belly toads for the land, and green tree frogs for the vines if i decide to add an upper atmosphere. i know fire belly toads release toxins but thats only when they are aggravated. ADFs are harmless. give me suggestions please, thanks

ConnerFish

AC Members
Sep 27, 2005
California
I have heard that fire belly toads will try to eat the ADF. I have two FBT and they love to hang out in the water too, not as far down as the ADF but on floating/submerged things. I didn't know they only release the toxins when upset I thought it was kinda all the time. Let me know how both frogs do together if you end up going that route. :)

dre205

AC Members
Feb 6, 2010
Georgia
okay i willl, i think im gonna go that way. i believe the water is deep enough for the ADF to get away from the FBTs. if it doesnt work out, i have a spare 10 gallon tank for them

dre205

AC Members
Feb 6, 2010
Georgia
this my setup. i believe the inhabitants will just love it.

IMG_3092.jpg

dre205

AC Members
Feb 6, 2010
Georgia
fire belly toads (if i can find some) anoles or grey tree frogs (greens sing way too loud). and feeder guppies for the water, so they can have a constant food supply, we all know guppies just love to reproduce. i realy would like tree frogs other than anoles. anoles dnt live all that long as fbt can live 15+ years.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
I also planned to build a vivarium and was planning on putting anoles but backed out. Anoles and green tree frogs are strictly land/arboreal. They can't really swim well so I recommend you scratch them out of the equation. I've been looking at Fire Bellied Newts also but I've heard mixed reviews on mixing Fire BEllied Toads with them so I wouldn't do it.

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
Fire Bellied Toads will continue to amaze you with the things they can and will fit in their mouths. And swallow. And go back for more of. Just fair warning there.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Just my 2 cents but the only thing that tank is really ok for is FBT and even then I would be wary of having pea gravel in there since they can easily swallow it and become impacted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store